250 GTO kit

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
Ahhh finally I can log in and post! :)

Over the last year or so I've been looking into these kits. Ferrari is closing down manufacturers of them as often as they can.

There are about four producers still working in America, the best being this kit.

They can export to the UK (basically, you select a port and they work out all the shipping costs etc... then you go down to the port and pick it up).

I doubt its going to be cheap! (but I'm sure its a fraction of the cost of a real 250GTO) ;)

Good luck!

cartmann

Forum User
OK Thanks for the info. The earlier Alpha 1 (now McBurnie) kits were the best copy. Most people cant afford the real thing, even Ferrari based replicas are selling for £500,000. Somebody mentioned Mr Z offered a kit about 10 years ago.

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
Originally posted by Legendary5
in Holland at leats i know of one.
http://www.zparts.com/sidebars/sb_pdgto/pd_gto_oval3.htm

try to find thru "Google" or sometime.

I don't think that kits being produced in Holland any more. It would be great if it was (and a hell of a lot cheaper to import!)

There was a great article in the first issue of Octane on the 250GTO. One was sold in the late 80s for £7million. They estimate their price at something scary that I forget now, but for normal people a body kit is the closest we'll ever get to such a lovely car!

Legendary5

Well-Known Forum User
As far as I can remember he bought the kit in the States. He wrote an article in our magazine sometime ago. It didn’t go smooth, that’s what I recall. And now he sold the car or not but he wanted to get rid of it.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
the best GTO replica i saw was in the begining of vanila sky with tom cruise and it was in black .if you get a chance check it out and see if i am wrong i know its not much help but if you was to get your hands on one you could try and put it on one of them cars in flims agency type things and make some extra money

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
Originally posted by moggy240
the best GTO replica i saw was in the begining of vanila sky with tom cruise and it was in black .if you get a chance check it out and see if i am wrong i know its not much help but if you was to get your hands on one you could try and put it on one of them cars in flims agency type things and make some extra money

Yup its a good version... not the greatest... but a damn beautiful car :) Love the start to that film! (notice the other one is a mustang) ;)

dave cottom

Well-Known Forum User
Kevin Irons of Samuri Conversions built and raced a 250GTO replica. I'm sure he'd be happy to offer some advice.

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
Originally posted by dave cottom
Kevin Irons of Samuri Conversions built and raced a 250GTO replica. I'm sure he'd be happy to offer some advice.

This one? http://www.zparts.com/history/samuri/samuri_zcuk.htm
samurai_piranha2.jpg

Any ideas on how to contact him? (Email would be great)

evo zero

Forum User
a 250gto kitted 260Z was sold at auction (Cheffins) last month for ...£21,000 !!
yikes.....
must have had a gold plated engine
...& to think I was offered a very good one a couple of years ago for £4000 and turned it down

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
Originally posted by evo zero
a 250gto kitted 260Z was sold at auction (Cheffins) last month for ...£21,000 !!
yikes.....
must have had a gold plated engine
...& to think I was offered a very good one a couple of years ago for £4000 and turned it down

Crikey! Must have had a hell of a lot more done to it than just the body kit then :D

Either that or someone had £21k burning a hole in their pockets!

Anyone know if it was badged up as a Ferrari during the auction?

cartmann

Forum User
That Samuri/Piranha body kit would be close enough, if it's available. There are more details I would want to modify like a 100 mm longer wheelbase and rear window.

The highest price a 250 GTO sold for were US$14,000,000.-- A Japanese businessman paid the money in November 1989. He later sold it for US$2,600,000.-- in August 1994. A price drop that would make it into Guiness book of records.

T

dave cottom

Well-Known Forum User
Samuri Coversions

I saw Kevin Irons at Billing this year. Unfortuantely other commitments has meant that he's not as active with Z's as he used to be but Im sure he'd be happy to give some guidance on this subject as he used to offer to build 250 GTO replica's. I do not have his e-mail address but his tel. no. is 01604-844772. Good luck !

Tony 260Z

Club Member
There's one in the 'Readers Rides' section of the latest "Retro cars" mag (as well as a 240Z rally replica in the main mag).

TL

evo zero

Forum User
the other jap express on the front cover / featured in this months Retro ..is my old car, owned in 1998...a mitsubishi Lancer ex2000 turbo...
...although now/since somewhat altered to make it a not road legal trackday

....current ex2000 is an ex-Brodie Britten Racing development car
...is in Retro next month along with other Lancer owners...
sits quite nicely next to my 260Z...they are coincidentally
a similar colour

Last edited by a moderator: