240Z - price level?

Please tell me what is 'original' about that car ?

The door speakers.
The blanked off radio.
The seat covers.
The lack of windscreen washer bottle.
The wiper blades.
The tasteful wooden battery tray.

I'm not certain but I didn't think that Euro Zs were delivered with the 'pig's-tail' tow eye at the rear susggesting that this might be an USA import converted to a euro look.....?:unsure:

Bound to be more so I'll pass the microphone over to the next spotter...:cheers:

Oh, I'll slip in the gear-lever quickly.

http://ww3.autoscout24.de/classified/279398149?asrc=st|as

Is this really the price level of an original 240Z in a solid state?

£ 20k / 25k Euro is the entry price for a good lhd 240Z these days with decent rust free bodywork, nice paint, original unmolested interior.
Does this car match that criteria,?
No, not really quite at that level and would need to see undersides and close ups of lower areas to make better judgement.

Prices steadily increasing worldwide, especially in States ( main source of lhd cars ) where the car is finally losing it's college kid racer tag and low mileage early production cars are sought after by more serious enthusiasts. Strong dollar means cars will be more expensive in Europe.

Aside from the rare and exclusive variants, the 240Z will never be worth a fortune as too many produced but will steadily appreciate in value over the years. Show me a better more useable everyday classic and much better than money in the bank or gold !

ps. Let's keep this simple and not get into the usual debate about rhd v lhd values

Last edited by a moderator:
At that price, I would expect a better level of finish though......nobody seriously cuts out their doorcards today for some black-plastic cheapy Halfords' speakers and the seats look like they were ripped out of a rusty 260Z.

Some details need to be correct to justify that price.....for a LHD (oops - sorry).:rolleyes:

At that price, I would expect a better level of finish though......nobody seriously cuts out their doorcards today for some black-plastic cheapy Halfords' speakers and the seats look like they were ripped out of a rusty 260Z.

Some details need to be correct to justify that price.....for a LHD (oops - sorry).:rolleyes:

Well I suppose being over the water you know the European ' lhd ' ;) market better than us even though the car is in Germany. My O level standard German plus Google translate ;) tells me the car is of Swedish origin with the last owner keeping it 18 years and says it is original 5 speed box so points to Euro spec. not US import if true.

Assume the only way a Swedish car would be rust free would be if it had been kept off the road every Winter ? If the 137k km is genuine could be a possibility ?

I still don't like the 'hurdy-gurdy left over from an Ikea sauna kit' battery tray !

Don't think we have those kits at our Ikea in UK ;)
Sat on a piece of cardboard I think.

Went to dealers website and doesn't look that nice in 'bigger' close up pics, hard to tell but may have minor bubbling around dog leg area. Engine bay/components scruffy, car has been re-painted at some point, coupled with the interior customisation job think chrisvega finger in the air ( but better than Hagertys ;) ) valuation is that this car would do well to get 20k Euro.

What do you think about the price Mr. Kenneth OP ? Denmark is next to Germany, you are closer to the action so to speak ?

Well, I am a novice in these cars (which Seans listing of unoriginality parts surely show).

This is also why it's hard for me to know what I am looking for.

I would prefer a 260 2+2 in original and rust free shape (there also seems cheaper). It needs to be an LHD, and Sean previously adviced to get a Europe spec 5 gear version. This all makes it more and more difficult to find one.

Registrating it in Denmark would cost additionally around 4.000 euro in Danish registration fee.

I don't have the time to travel around Europe to see 4-5 cars before I buy, I would have to trust the seller (which is why I hope something will show up some day on this forum), which I also did with my last classic car.

At €25.000 there are other nice sporty cars available in Denmark (Porsche 944, Renault Alpine V6, ...) and as I've never driven or owned a Z yet, don't hate me for considering other cars also :)

However, users on my not-very-visited blog clearly stated on the latest poll, that they hope I buy a Z - and not one of the other cars :)

I believe that if you want a 2+2 then stick around for that - you should be able to get one imported for under €20k in good condition - maybe even find one in Denmark ?

€25k for a Porsche 944 ? They're only €5k in the UK and an Alpine looks great on paper but these are both '80s designs with plastic interiors - a lot more performance for your money and probably easier to find bringing me back to my opening statement :

if you want a 2+2 Z then keep looking and don't discount importing a 2+2 280Z from the States why not ?

Hi Kenneth,

The 2+2 version of the 260 is much cheaper to buy than the 2 seat version or any 240Z, probably just 50% of the price so please don't confuse the two in terms of pricing.

In UK the 2+2 cars are also rare but I would expect the very best examples to be no more than say £ 10k. The same will be true in Europe so you should be looking to pay no more than 12k, maybe 15k max. Euro for the best cars.

Your other choice of potential classics, the Porsche and Renault A310 V6 are very much more modern cars than the Z but can't help you with the decision there, some people want investment, some speed, some looks, some cheap running costs, reliability etc.

Renault probably has the most investment potential being low production volume.

Porsche will be the most refined car there and probably easiest to live with on a daily basis and get parts for etc. Standard 2.7 944 is cheaper and slower than the Turbo version but still way quicker than 260Z if speed is important ?.944 Turbo will give you biggest thrill if looking for speed.

Will keep an eye out for you ;)

Just seen Sean's reply, agree with him, if you do decide on a 260Z 2+2 seriously consider importing from the States. You can upgrade the gearbox to 5 speed, modify the engine etc

I used to import many types of classics including Zs from trade contacts in California and Southern States on a regular basis and still retain strong contacts there. I can ask around for you if you want and hold your hand through export procedure ? The exchange rate is not great at the moment but shouldn't affect the end price too badly at the lower price end this 260Z 2+2 will be.

Have you ruled out the 280ZX ? Too much of a boulevard cruiser ?

I am speculating that Sean may also have contacts in States as well so may also be able to turn up something for you ?

2.7 944 ?

Agreed with the rest and we agree on 2+2 price over here.

2.7 ?
Oh yeah, (almost) fair cop guv !

Well they did do a 2.7 later on in 1989 but 2.5 was the standard until then ;) oops.

Quote '
In early 1989 before the release of the 944S2, Porsche upgraded the 944 from the 2.5 to a 2.7 L engine, bore 104 mm (4.1 in), stroke 78.9 mm (3.1 in), with a rated 162 hp (121 kW) (versus 158 hp (118 kW) for the 1988 2.5 L version) and a significant increase in torque. In addition to the increase in displacement, the new motor featured a siamesed-cylinder block design and a different cylinder head which incorporated larger valves '

944s have some rust issues (not as bad as a Z mind you) plus the various drives for the cams and balancing shafts on the engine are critical. Sean the days of getting a decent 944 for 5k in the UK are no more, I'm afraid the 911 effect is starting to drag up the prices of even the front engined cars.

Ok Mike - I sorta looked when I was keen on a '2+2' but parts prices are crazy too.

If 911s can drag up Front engined porkers then I'd have thought 240s can do the same for 2+2s.....which is what a 911 is anyway :) !

Just seen Sean's reply, agree with him, if you do decide on a 260Z 2+2 seriously consider importing from the States. You can upgrade the gearbox to 5 speed, modify the engine etc

I used to import many types of classics including Zs from trade contacts in California and Southern States on a regular basis and still retain strong contacts there. I can ask around for you if you want and hold your hand through export procedure ? The exchange rate is not great at the moment but shouldn't affect the end price too badly at the lower price end this 260Z 2+2 will be.

Have you ruled out the 280ZX ? Too much of a boulevard cruiser ?

I am speculating that Sean may also have contacts in States as well so may also be able to turn up something for you ?

Or a 280Z 2+2. Fuel injection engine, lot of the later cars have 5 speed. Recently imported one to the UK lovely car to drive. They have the hideous bumpers though
( easily changed ).

The 260Z 2+2 is rare car in the States, a decent car will usually command better money than the 280Z 2+2.

Steve

That's why I had to own both! Yes, I'll give you the wheel comment, but if I was into changing it it's easily done. On that subject I am just about to get it recovered in the original dark blue leather ... !

Back