240 To 280zx Alternator Adaptor

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Come across a very neat alternator adaptor to convert your dodgy charging 240 alternator to the internally regulated 280zx one. It is self contained and weather proof and can be fitted in minutes. If you want to change it back for shows or whatever the whole cobuddle including the alternator, can be swopped in about 30mins. Comes from our US friends and I'm guessing the price including delivery is going to be around £10-£15 which has to be a bargain for the advantages it offers.
I've put in an enquiry for a job lot so if anybody wants one let me know and I'll confirm the price when I know more.:)

Sounds interesting Nigel. How readily available are 280ZX alternators now? Can they be bought new still, Mr. F. perhaps? Anyone know the amp rating, I have a feeling it's 60ish. Good upgrade though.

Cheers,
Rob

If you want an adapter its really, really easy to do

Cut an old plug off a scrap regulator, a few crimps, couple of bits of wire and a diode. I can send you a diagram if necassary

Yes I was aware it's that simple but this one is all self contained inc the diode, weatherproof and all new. Simple plug in and play, extremely neat.

Now got pics and price for the adaptor. £14.50 for singles, £10.00 if I get an order for 10 of which I'm having 2. Got to be better than messing around with old wiring, fuel to your local diode/new connector shop:D , time etc.

Attachments

• DSC00633.jpg
    DSC00633.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC00634.jpg
    DSC00634.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 61
Spot, on ideally suited to lazy gits like me ;)

Put me down for one Nigel, I'll add it to the box of things to do later!

Cheers,
Rob

Sounds like a very tidy solution. Put me down for one too - let me know how you want me to get the money to you.

Rob - at the moment I very much empathise with you on adding it to the box of things to do later!! To be honest, I'm sure you car is a lot more together than mine at the moment! In fact the vast majority of mine is in my parents' summer house and shed! :eek:

richiep said:
Rob - at the moment I very much empathise with you on adding it to the box of things to do later!! To be honest, I'm sure you car is a lot more together than mine at the moment! In fact the vast majority of mine is in my parents' summer house and shed! :eek:

Hi Richard, how goes the work on it? Did you get the roof repair sorted?

Mine's been on axles stands for the wrong part of a year now, minus gearbox and complete rear end, far to bloody cold to think about getting under it. I must be nesh ;)

Cheers,
Rob

I've been meaning to post a few piccies for a while on progress, although I'll be saving the best/worst (depending on how you classify hidden rot) for the inevitable Z Club mag article that I promised Skiddell.

In summary, the car has been at the bodyshop since October - I delivered it as a rolling shell after stripping it last summer. Last time I saw it was a couple of weeks ago. All the repairs (accident related and the rust repairs) had been done and it was due to be fully primed and painted within the next few days. Whether that has happened yet, I don't know. Dave Porter might be more up to date as he drops in there quite regularly.

It has had (aside from straightening out the roof damage):
New rear valance, new rear corners, new RH rear arch (outer and edge of inner - due to bodged previous arch repair the hidden rust was err.. "interesting"), new LH outer sill, new roof-to-rear quarter joins (old metal cut out, replacement pieces fabricated, including drip rail sections), several other specific welds etc. to upper body issues. Underside is clean.

Round of applause to Mr Feeney for the panels and various other items!

I'm very excited about what the end result will be like - take a look at Dave Porter's car and you'll get an idea of how good Stuart at Autovation's work is.

Just have to put it back together then... :conf2: And not scratch the new paint in the process :eek:

Put Me Down For One Nigel.
Cheers Let Me Know When You Have Them I Will Send Some Money.

please put me down for one too looks like a neat conversion, let me know where to send money. PM me
Thanks.
Nick.

The adaptors have arrived. Bit more expensive than originally thought at £13 each inc post and packing within the UK. [due to supplier wanting bankers order for payment]. Those who ordered please send monies with addresses to:-

Nigel Brook
4 Sill Green
Wigginton
Tamworth
Staffs B79 9EY.

Back