240 Odd Electrical Issues

Linguo

Forum User
I'm having a nightmare of a time with some of my electrical going in and out, switches and dials doing things they aren't supposed to, and generally starting to think about rewiring the entire car.

Today, I'll start with what I hope to be a simpler issue. As of about a month ago, my stereo wouldn't turn on. I didn't mind so much since I pretty much had it parked to work on other, more pressing issues. After a quick road test, I turned on my heater and voila! The stereo turns on! Granted, it IS an aftermarket stereo, but I've had it installed over a year and never had any issues with it running separately. Unfortunately, I had it installed by a friend who knows stereos and electrical better than myself, so I don't have a great understanding of how he wired the head unit into the car. Still, the fact that it would work so smoothly for so long and out of nowhere, change to such an extreme is baffling to me.

Again, there are several issues with my wiring, so I imagine there could be several factors affecting my current problem as well.

Linguo

Forum User
I don't have a permanent solution to this yet, but I did discover that my constant for my head unit was disconnected. After connecting it, my head unit and heater work perfectly (and separately). Still not sure what the cause of that problem was and I'm sure I'll come back around to it eventually.

73dattoDD

Forum User
check your alternator first, then voltage regulator, if thats not the gremlin youll have to track the transistor or resistor that is bad. I believe somewhere there is an alternator mod for more amps.

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
Got to be the regulator! Overcharging makes my stereo turn off all the time; it works when i don't drive and then as soon as the engine revs and charges the battery too much, it turns off (fuses perhaps?). I end up turning every single electrical thing on in my car so that it keeps the charge down to listen to the radio!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Got to be the regulator! Overcharging makes my stereo turn off all the time; it works when i don't drive and then as soon as the engine revs and charges the battery too much, it turns off (fuses perhaps?). I end up turning every single electrical thing on in my car so that it keeps the charge down to listen to the radio!

You may damage the battery and 'blow' all your bulbs etc.

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah, you're not wrong! It's been like it for a few months now, but it definitely blew a bulb!

I will get it sorted this week, hopefully.

P.S. I realise this isn't on topic, but how easy is it to change a bulb? I bought a couple of new ones but the only way I can think of doing it is by taking the wheel off, which is hassle!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
how easy is it to change a bulb?....the only way I can think of doing it is by taking the wheel off, which is hassle!

Taking a wheel off isn't hassle, blimey. My neighbour told me that the wheels on my track car would be dizzy. I reckon the fun will start once the wheel is off.

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
Haha! Well it's difficult for me because I can't get the jack under my car ( too low )! So I have to go find random planks of wood to drive onto!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Haha! Well it's difficult for me because I can't get the jack under my car ( too low )! So I have to go find random planks of wood to drive onto!

Yeh, mine was the same, I used planks like you to make two shallow ramps about 3" high to drive onto.

I've also taken the wheel off, removed ramps, worked on car, replace wheels and let car down and trapped the jack! (remember to replace ramp before lowering the car!). See the ramp in my pic?

Attachments

• SV207903.JPG
    SV207903.JPG
    677.6 KB · Views: 23

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
Yeh, mine was the same, I used planks like you to make two shallow ramps about 3" high to drive onto.

I've also taken the wheel off, removed ramps, worked on car, replace wheels and let car down and trapped the jack! (remember to replace ramp before lowering the car!). See the ramp in my pic?

Haha! You absolute legend, Rob.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hay Rob how much did you lower your car to have so much hassle?:)

I suppose about 1.5". I was limited by my drive at home (exhaust caught). If you look at this picture the centre of the wheels lines up with the 'line' along the car.

Attachments

• IMG_0248.JPG
    IMG_0248.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 15

andrew muir

Club Member
That looks ok to me surprised you had to resort to ramps to use a jack though.
I wonder what the guys do that have them slammed to the deck?:D