240 Front Bumper?

robert I

Forum User
Need to get my bumpers rechromed but front has a dent in it.
If it won't come out ,may need a good straight one.
Anyone have a spare?
Thanks Rob

dents removed and rechromed very expensive, the best are london chroming, but expect to pay £200- £350 per bumper. you get what you pay for....gulp!:eek:

And expect a very long wait. Problem is you have very little choice, finding a spare front bumper that does not need any work or re-chroming is going to be very difficult, unless you can temp someone to part with their shiney front end for a largeish 3 figure sum. (dont hold your breath).
Having said all that, they are still available from japan i believe, but will probably cost over 300.
Don.

Nissan will lead you to believe that the UK style front bumper is still a valid part number, but when they arrive they are '73 USA style which don't fit and don't have any of our required mounting studs. And the number plate bracket is offset to one side....:(

Wouldnt it be possible for Rob to adjust or move the bracket/fixings, without damaging the chromework Mike.

Only, if this is an option, its much better to have a new bumper than a rusty refurb.
My bumper was from Japan, and allthoigh my car was originally US spec, it was completely rebuilt, so im not sure if the bumper had to be adjusted at all.
If your unsure about all this Rob, speak to Fourways Engineering, they will be able to advise you, as they did mine, and many others im sure.

Grolls is having his car rebuilt, what are your bumper plans Paul??
Don.

Zbirdy said:
Grolls is having his car rebuilt, what are your bumper plans Paul??
Don.

To be honest i have looked into this alot so far and if you have a perfect bumper the best price i could find is about £150 cash each (no dents) if dented they would send it away and then you may pay as much as £250 to get them all removed. Please bear in mind any slight blemish will show so the workmanship must be 100% perfect. i will drop my bumpers into london chroming, they are the best, they take the longest but i want mine right.

Wouldnt it be possible for Rob to adjust or move the bracket/fixings, without damaging the chromework Mike.
The '73 US bumper was designed to work with the impact stays and sits around a set of plastic fillets so, although superficially similar, I believe it is slightly wider than our UK one. Also, it has NO brackets or mounts even resembling the UK version so would require chrome disrupting work to modify (not that Nissan's original chrome is show quality anyway...).

Just restored 1970 240z and had the Front & Rear Bumbers Re-Chromed in Manchester
the guy has done a brill job and only cost to do both was under 200 pounds will be at Oulton Park Gold Cup for people to see .Can arrange for people to send parts that want to be Chromed to me as he is only 15 mins up the road .Will give my time for free if Z club members donate a small fee to the Z club.

Z Club Member 99

datsun dave said:
Just restored 1970 240z and had the Front & Rear Bumbers Re-Chromed in Manchester
the guy has done a brill job and only cost to do both was under 200 pounds will be at Oulton Park Gold Cup for people to see .Can arrange for people to send parts that want to be Chromed to me as he is only 15 mins up the road .Will give my time for free if Z club members donate a small fee to the Z club.

Z Club Member 99
That is a very nice offer sir :) , let the queue begin..................

Dave, that sounds reasonable, as Paul says, London Chroming have an excellent name, and I spose you get what you pay for, a word of caution should be raised here though, and one which Robert should be wary of, there is chroming and there is chroming, i had 4 hub caps chromed for my humber hawk a couple of years ago, (cost £38 each plus vat) Chroming company in Gillingham Kent. within 6 months the chrome was cracking around the centre boss rings, and to be honest it was as thin as gold leaf. So my advice is Get some reccommendations first before parting with those hard earnt bucks.
Don.

Also be wary of chroming that has yellowy clouds in it, sure sign it'll be crap shortly :)

Back