240 Engine spec

Wyn

Club Member
My old 240z engine has what I believe an injection head fitted, as it has little cutouts at the top of the inlet ports?
Anyone guess why someone would fit an injection head to it? Were they a better head then the std 240 head?
Cheers

Just had a look

Head is cast E88, has double springs

Cam E30

Block P30, stamped L24 ......

portssmall1.jpg

Were they std on a 240 :confused:
Does that help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now the E88 was never EFI, either Wynn has been sniffing too much petrol or I'm wrong :)

You're wrong Russ.............. ;) :)

Many Japanese home-market Nissan vehicles were fitted with the E88 head and EFI.

Just because this was not seen much outside Japan doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Wyn's injection-spec E88 head could have come off any number of Nissan models.

I stand corrected :) Never really thought about the head being used elsewhere on other models (duh).

I'm off to google it up.

Albrecht said:
You're wrong Russ.............. ;) :)
My mishtake then.

The ol threads I looked through (E88) didn’t mention cut outs on 240 heads?

I assumed the cut outs indicated it would be an injection head on a 240?

I’m confuzzed now :confused:

Russ said:
I stand corrected .

Btw, Did you notice the way this site just crashed?

Tut tut Russ, you is wrong lol, simple as :p ;)

Albrecht: I can't seem to find anything on it. Albrecht, what vehicles did it feature on please? Might make my searching easier. I imagine if it were JDM only then there'll be little on the net I can read.

Wyn: Yes I know it just crashed, the admin must have been looking at too much questionable net material and not monitoring the server ;)

Russ said:
I'm off to google it up.
Forget Google for this type of stuff Russ, for f*ck's sake. It'll probably just take you to similar questions on zcar.com.......

E88 on EFI was predominantly a Japanese home-market phenomenon, and therefore only pops up on Gurgle USA / UK if somebody writes anything about it on the 'net in ENGLISH. And just like Wikipedia ( another waste of bloody time ) it doesn't mean that if it is on the web in English that it is by default correct.......

Do you detect a certain note of jaded cynicism creeping in here by any chance? ;)

The Nissan L-series engine didn't start out in the Z and didn't finish its life in the Z either. However, non-Z L-gata parts DO crop up now and then - which seems to confuse and agitate those Z owners who forget / ignore the fact that the Z is a Japanese car that shared some of its mechanicals with other Japanese cars - not all of which were seen in the USA ( the font of all Z-related knowledge in the English language, it seems :rolleyes: ).

What's that song with the lyric; ".......I shouldn't wish your life began the day we met.....". Somebody should sing it to the L-gata six banger......

Gosh this Shiraz is nice.

Albrecht: Well I'm certainly not going to my local library to hunt for a L-gata book, apart from the net I'm not sure where else I might find this sort of info? I COULD go to Japan (if I had a passport) and ask I suppose... I have various books on rebuilding the L series engine, and was aware it came in other vehicles, but haven't seen it in EFI format before.

Oh and I am net savvy enough to be aware that you have to take everything with a pinch of salt thanks ;) :)

Wynn, maybe you can take your head off and tell me all the differences instead ;)

Russ said:
Wynn, maybe you can take your head off
I could but can't :eek:
I will be sellin it on soon tho :unsure: You could always buy it to look if you like ;)

Russ said:
Wynn: You don't happen to have the intake manifold for that do you?
Only this one that came with it.
std 240z I guess? :confused:

zcarbs11.jpg

zcarbs10.jpg

No matchin cut outs in that one tho lol :unsure:

Yeh, I'm intrigued to see how it worked.

Have enough trouble with one engine thanks :) And if my block is no good I'll be after an L28 I guess.

*awaits enlightenment*

Russ said:
*awaits enlightenment*
It's not rocket science Russ. Nissan just machined injector cutouts into some head types when EFI was specified. Doesn't mean that you are going to find all that much difference in the combustion chamber shapes and valve sizes etc between an injection E88 and a non-injection E88.

They were seen on Skylines, Cedrics, Laurels and a few other models besides. My guess is that the head on Wyn's car might have started out on one of these and ( no idea how - but often related to previous owners not willing to spend much money ) found a home on his UK-market Z's L24 bottom end.

Albrecht said:
It's not rocket science Russ. They were seen on Skylines, Cedrics, Laurels and a few other models besides.
But .... Before I got my hands on it, someone had spent a few bob
watchout.gif

ol pics ;)

car1.jpg

car3.jpg

....... Still before I got my hands on it
gary.gif

car5.jpg

Albrecht said:
( no idea how - but often related to previous owners not willing to spend much money )
So I junked the 6 n put a V8 into it
giveup.gif
laugh.gif

Er,
So it had a set of triple Dell'Ortos bolted onto it at one point. And then it didn't.

Plenty of other UK-market cars could tell the same story I'm sure.

What's this got to do with the fact that you decided to put a V8 in it? :confused:

Is that a 'Z Farm' sticker I spy on the cam cover?
Maybe you should ask Duncan about the engine, then? Perhaps he knows exactly where this particular head came from. Perhaps not.

Albrecht said:
Er,
What's this got to do with the fact that you decided to put a V8 in it? :confused:
Nothing, only to help show the cars/engines history perhaps
dowa.gif

An off topic moment maybe, a moment in history, a waste of time, nothing better to add, I know less then you about flied lice, you tell me oh wise one lol
laugh.gif

Albrecht said:
Is that a 'Z Farm' sticker I spy on the cam cover?
Maybe you should ask Duncan about the engine, then? Perhaps he knows exactly where this particular head came from. Perhaps not.
I don't know. I can't make out what they say :confused:
No stickers were on the engine when I bought the car
confused2.gif

I shall await a Z Farm relpy then
bowdown.gif
mrgreen.gif

900ss said:
..........I know less then you about flied lice, you tell me oh wise one lol
laugh.gif
"Flied lice"?

WTF is that supposed to mean?

Have you been taking lessons in thinly-veiled racism from zbirdy?

Back