240 Drive flange play

Wyn

Club Member
Both the rear wheel drive flanges have excessive play on my 240

I tightened one of the centre nuts by less then quarter of a turn and it seemed to be ok.

I removed the nut anyway (play returned) and the flange could simply be pulled off by hand.

Should those flanges be that easy to remove as the 260 set I removed took a puller to get them apart? Are they prone to wear on a 240 or is it the nuts have worked loose allowing them to wear?

Btw, will 260 2+2 drive flanges fit a 240 as I have a set of those?

From my experience 260 components are different than 240. The splined section is a larger diameter and so perhaps a worthwhile upgrade. Other dimensions are the same, so an easy swap.

I have 260 shafts on my 240.

I really didn’t want to have to try pull these apart. Typical as I have a set of 260 stub axles n flanges I removed a little while ago. Those were off the car at the time but it still took a hell of a lot of force to get the stub axle free from the bearings. One side came out whole inc the outer bearing n the other as per pulled the bearing apart.
More hassle I don’t need :unsure:

Cheers Rob

Assuming they are diffo to a 260…

Has anyone got a “known to be good” pair of rear outer hub drive flanges for a 74 240z?
Would like to try another flange first to see where the play is :)

The spline number on the flange and stub changed from 240Z to 260Z although the bearing set and seals remained the same.

Back