200 bhp?

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
I have a '74 260z; just wondered how easy it would be to get roughly 200bhp out of it? I already have triple dellorto carbs and a janspeed exhaust system... I don't know how much in the way of bhp it is producing right now but it doesn't pull that great. Any suggestions?

And with Triple carbs, what sort of bhp will it be producing at the moment?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Guy

I guess the first thing would be to get it to a rolling road and setup properly, then you'll have a start point. You might find that once its done you're happy.

Guy, as Franky says get her rolling roaded to find out how she is running and what she is producing and then you've got a baseline to judge future mods on. Before you do that make sure you've done at a minimum oil change, air filter change made sure your ignition system is up to the job (correct plugs, replaced if necessary, new ht leads if needed, check condition of your distributor cap, rotor arm - replace if worn). And make sure you're cooling system is up to scratch too!

Find a rolling road that knows how to tune carburettors too, many don't dabble with the often and are just use to modern cars and modern engine management systems.

Also, when you say she doesn't pull great is that from standstill? I don't know what diff ratio you're running but a 3.54 diff is sluggish and a shorter diff may be what you're looking for, you will notice a better pull from standstill with a 4.1 or 3.9 diff but at the detriment if fuel economy when sat in 5th on the motorway (you're revs will be higher).

Hmm just slapping on some bigger carbs and an exhaust manifold wont do much to a stock engine, its the bit inbetween that needs some work, as george says make sure everything else is all good then have a head job with a nice camshaft then you will feel the improvement , just for the record i'm 228 hp thats with using a 2.8 block overbored 2mm forged race pistons 240z con rods all internals balanced complete stainlles straight through exhaust triple angle valve seats and tripple 45mm webbers, oh and camshaft

240z l28 vs 1jz - YouTube

This is what 228 looks like :D

Why is no-one making the distinction between RWP and FWP? Otherwise, what Tel said - head and cam will be critical in unleashing the potential of the parts you already have...

Maybe the carbs aren't set up properly as George says, could explain why it's not accelerating the way it should be.

Try this guy. He's brilliant. Rolling road tuning, he re jetted and set up mine, and gets 190 at the wheels.

Mech Motorsport
Unit 4 Haven Works
Tewksbury Road
Cheltenham
GL51 8AL
United Kingdom

Try this guy. He's brilliant. Rolling road tuning, he re jetted and set up mine, and gets 190 at the wheels.

Mech Motorsport
Unit 4 Haven Works
Tewksbury Road
Cheltenham
GL51 8AL
United Kingdom

Nice what engine cc and mods have you done please ? :smoke:

Mech motorsport....does he still use a dot matrix printer and jump out of the car half way through the coastdown

190 at the wheels is around 230+ at the fly so yes please andy smith.....I would like to know your spec as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
when i say "it doesn't pull that great", i mean that when it gets to 40/50 mph, it feels sluggish when i put my foot down. From 0 till then, it seems fine.

i was wondering about bigger stroker engine but after a bit of reading, it sounds like a more difficult job than i first thought.

i'd just like a bit more out of the engine.

Hmm just slapping on some bigger carbs and an exhaust manifold wont do much to a stock engine, its the bit inbetween that needs some work, as george says make sure everything else is all good then have a head job with a nice camshaft then you will feel the improvement , just for the record i'm 228 hp thats with using a 2.8 block overbored 2mm forged race pistons 240z con rods all internals balanced complete stainlles straight through exhaust triple angle valve seats and tripple 45mm webbers, oh and camshaft
-- this sounds interesting. Overbored 2mm forged race pistons, 240z con rods all internals etc. i'll do some reading on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mech Motorsport
Unit 4 Haven Works
Tewksbury Road
Cheltenham
GL51 8AL
United Kingdom

thanks Andy, i'll give him a try. I'm pretty close to Cheltenham, so that's handy.

i was wondering about bigger stroker engine but after a bit of reading, it sounds like a more difficult job than i first thought.

They (strokers) are not particular difficult to do, but add cost compared to just overboring. It depends what you want, a stroker compared to a "normal"/short stroke just deliver their power/torque in a different way...one the engine "whizzes" round, the other, less need to rev, as the extra stroke delivers the torque... me, I am biased, I love the big stoker I have...:bow:

It's a Samuri, so head, GDS exhaust, and Triple 40s, but he took them apart and put 5 jets instead of the three that were in. It certainly flies.

Its a Samuri, so head, triple 40s GDS manifold, and whatever else Spike did to it. The guy who had the conversion had it back for pistons, cam, baffled sump etc, so I imagine its had work I don't know about. He spent a fortune on it in the late 80s. Then left it to rot, which it did very well!

Back