20 Questions

Terry B G

Well-Known Forum User
No-one at all I cribbed the HTML said:
Sub Title: Mr F HELP!!
1981 Datsun 280ZX (T Top - are they all T Tops?)

1) Alternator belt:

What is the correct alternator belt to fit on an '81 280ZX. Mine keeps throwing belts every few hundred miles!! Every time I put one on (875 length) It fits tight and then seems to stretch significantly. Currently I've got a 13mm x 875 on and although, once again, it seems to have stretched, thus far it isn't slipping. The only thing wrong that I can see is that the bolt head + about 1/4 inch of the pivot bolt has sheared but it is being held in place - would it make THAT much difference.

2) Battery

The battery in this car is quite clearly the wrong size and as a result the last owner has simply 'sat it' in the battery compartment and dispensed with any attempt to fasten it in place - scary or what!!. What is the correct battery to buy and does anyone have a spare battery securing arrangement.

3) Oil Pressure

What would I expect my oil pressure to be running at, today on a run back from Herts to North Yorks, my oil pressure was running at between 60 - 75 lb/in. Is this about right or a touch high?

4) Water temp

My water temp gauge doesn't seem to be working - easy enough, however, when the alternator belt through the water temp gauge shot up to about 250. However, even normally it's not working the heating matrix therefore no heat in the car - bit chilly at this time of year - any ideas, suggestions or helpful hints.

5) Steering

The steering is quite loose and the suspension feels very soft - result, when travelling at speed it feels quite 'bouncy' (can't think of a better way of describing it). What's my best course of action

6) Gear Ratios

When I drop the car into fifth it still rev's quite hard - e.g. 3600 RPM for 70 mph. Is this the norm because if I wanted to take it up to 80 or 90 the engine's gonna be positively screaming. Is there anyway of changing the ratio

7) Wind noise

Does anyone have any effective solutions for detecting the sources of and reducing wind noise on this car

That's about it for now although no doubt the answers will provoke more questions.

Thanks Guys

Terry

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Alt belt. Have you got all the pulleys in alignment. Have you got the correct alternator with the correct pulley?
Battery. Any decent Battery supplier should be able to supply the correct battery by looking itup in their reference books. Then you can get the securing rod and brace from me.
Oil Press. Sounds bout right but gauges are notoriously inaccurate any way. So WTF youve got some oil pressure. Hurrah!
Water stuff. cant fathom out wot ur on about here . please re word after you have replaced the thermostat.
Steering. Steering and suspension are all probably Kna....., sorry worn out!. Replace everything Shocks springs bushes etc. Steering? rack or box???
Gear ratios. Summat not quite rite ere . Wot ur sayin equates to 19.3 mph /1000 revs
Thats more like a figure for fourth. Help MrF I need help with this one.
Wrong tyres?? too low profile???? Wrong diff??? Maybe youve got a 4.1 fitted. If you have take it out .. First dibs to me please!! Rev counter awol??
Wind noise. Fill all the rust holes! wot no rust holes?? OK its the rubber seals n door alignment and loose chrome trims round windshield and targa seals if you are unlucky enough to have a targa version.
Next 20 please!

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
;)
Terry B G said:
1981 Datsun 280ZX (T Top - are they all T Tops?)

1) Alternator belt:

What is the correct alternator belt to fit on an '81 280ZX. Mine keeps throwing belts every few hundred miles!! Every time I put one on (875 length) It fits tight and then seems to stretch significantly. Currently I've got a 13mm x 875 on and although, once again, it seems to have stretched, thus far it isn't slipping. The only thing wrong that I can see is that the bolt head + about 1/4 inch of the pivot bolt has sheared but it is being held in place - would it make THAT much difference.

alternator not on straight,ie broken bolt, bent pulley!

2) Battery

The battery in this car is quite clearly the wrong size and as a result the last owner has simply 'sat it' in the battery compartment and dispensed with any attempt to fasten it in place - scary or what!!. What is the correct battery to buy and does anyone have a spare battery securing arrangement.

ASK PMAC FOR BATTERY CLAMP

3) Oil Pressure

What would I expect my oil pressure to be running at, today on a run back from Herts to North Yorks, my oil pressure was running at between 60 - 75 lb/in. Is this about right or a touch high?

SOUNDS GOOD TOO ME

4) Water temp

My water temp gauge doesn't seem to be working - easy enough, however, when the alternator belt through the water temp gauge shot up to about 250. However, even normally it's not working the heating matrix therefore no heat in the car - bit chilly at this time of year - any ideas, suggestions or helpful hints.

THEMOSTAT MISSING. ALSO POSSIBLY A BLOCKED MATRIX TOO AS SHOULD GET SOME HEAT.250 DEGREES JEEZE A RECIPE FOR A HEAD GASKET FAILURE.

5) Steering

The steering is quite loose and the suspension feels very soft - result, when travelling at speed it feels quite 'bouncy' (can't think of a better way of describing it). What's my best course of action

NEW SHOCKS, ASK MR F.

6) Gear Ratios

When I drop the car into fifth it still rev's quite hard - e.g. 3600 RPM for 70 mph. Is this the norm because if I wanted to take it up to 80 or 90 the engine's gonna be positively screaming. Is there anyway of changing the ratio

SPEED LIMIT IS 70 MATE...LOL THIS ONE BEST ANSWERED BY A BOD LIKE PMAC,MR F.ETC.

7) Wind noise

Does anyone have any effective solutions for detecting the sources of and reducing wind noise on this car

That's about it for now although no doubt the answers will provoke more questions.

MAKE SURE ALL DOORS AND SUNROOFS ARE ADJUSTED PROPERLY,ALSO THE BONNET.

Thanks Guys

Terry

Terry B G

Well-Known Forum User
Gears

Pete,

Gears. You're probably right about the 4.1 (he says sounding knowledgable)
If you want to take it out and replace it, you can have it. I'll pay for the replacement, you put the time in. (sound reasonable?)

I'll have the securing rod and brace.

You've got my number if you want to give me a call about it.

Terry

pmac said:
Alt belt. Have you got all the pulleys in alignment. Have you got the correct alternator with the correct pulley?
Battery. Any decent Battery supplier should be able to supply the correct battery by looking itup in their reference books. Then you can get the securing rod and brace from me.
Oil Press. Sounds bout right but gauges are notoriously inaccurate any way. So WTF youve got some oil pressure. Hurrah!
Water stuff. cant fathom out wot ur on about here . please re word after you have replaced the thermostat.
Steering. Steering and suspension are all probably Kna....., sorry worn out!. Replace everything Shocks springs bushes etc. Steering? rack or box???
Gear ratios. Summat not quite rite ere . Wot ur sayin equates to 19.3 mph /1000 revs
Thats more like a figure for fourth. Help MrF I need help with this one.
Wrong tyres?? too low profile???? Wrong diff??? Maybe youve got a 4.1 fitted. If you have take it out .. First dibs to me please!! Rev counter awol??
Wind noise. Fill all the rust holes! wot no rust holes?? OK its the rubber seals n door alignment and loose chrome trims round windshield and targa seals if you are unlucky enough to have a targa version.
Next 20 please!

Terry B G

Well-Known Forum User
LSD 4.1 BBC ITV MCC and Bar

Well you're talking to a numpty here mate. You could tell me it has got woofers and tweeters and I'd have to think hard about it!!!!:eek:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Woofers and Tweeters ? Do you want Dolby, a bag on your head....what a great sketch !
I second the steering/suspension - tired out and you won't believe the difference when all the bushes and shocks are changed ! Springs ? Maybe okay and the steering rack is worth changing to a rack and pin. Cathys' is that and a whole lot better than somone elses 280 I know with very limited miles on the clock so it's design and not down to wear and tear !
A 280 can feel taut, handle well and go very well - anything less isn't doing the model (or yourself) justice !

Terry B G

Well-Known Forum User
oooooooer

This is all beginning to sound like my credit card is gonna take a hammering!!!!

Okay, assuming I can raise my credit limit and depress my bank manager, who could take it away and do it (quickly)?

Terry

Terry B G

Well-Known Forum User
Seemed okay to me status. I went forward and backward when I wanted to so I guess something works :D Just the top gear that concerns me. need something with a much lower ratio so I can cruise the motorway rather than scream at everything lol
status said:
was that gearbox ok,pmac it is a 260 box something terry didnt mention

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
Did the car used to be an auto, as my old auto 280ZX used to run out of revs at speed....100mph equalled about 5,000 revs in top (3rd)!...Should be good on the acceleration though!
Cheerz,
JEZ

Terry B G

Well-Known Forum User
Not sure m8, but that sounds feasible. There again you could say got a mini in the pots and that would sound feasible to me too lol
JEZ300Z said:
Hi,
Did the car used to be an auto, as my old auto 280ZX used to run out of revs at speed....100mph equalled about 5,000 revs in top (3rd)!...Should be good on the acceleration though!
Cheerz,
JEZ

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Jez 300. the auto has the 3.5 diff. Thats going the wrong way for this problem.
Zedhead 260.. The 4.1 diff answer just fits the described problem. Its not likely but you will be as sick as a parrot on neat Pernod if it is M8. Cos Its got my name on it .
My answer here is based on the fact that some JDM models had this diff (Maybe as an option). The fact that something is unlikely doesnt mean it isnt true. EG you would think it unlikely that your local scrap yard would ring you and tell you that he has got a set of triple Mikuni solex carbs on a works type manifold for sale at a VERY low price but it happened. So a 4.1 diff ??? Never say never M8!!!

Terry Bg we need more exact details of the car to give you proper advice .
Contact me at home for a better diagnosis. 01773 761238 or contact God directly in Essex. But dont call anyone til you have topped up that bank balance!!!!!!!

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
"Jez 300. the auto has the 3.5 diff. Thats going the wrong way for this problem."

Hi,
I never did understand gearbox and diff ratios!:confused: I just remember my auto being very low geared...or is that high geared???:confused: :confused:
Perhaps as pmac says, you've got an import Fairlady model or parts from one!
Cheerz,
JEZ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Jez 300. the auto has the 3.5 diff. Thats going the wrong way for this problem."

Hi,
I never did understand gearbox and diff ratios
Well you know really im sure, but just to start off ,think about this...
Manual box has 5 ratios. Auto has 3... Therefore different rear axle ratios needed.
Same car with 2 engines eg 280Zx with 2liter or 2.8 liter. Different rear axle ratio needed as different power /rev ranges on the engines.
More to follow when you catch up with me at a show or a HOE meet .Second installment only available in exchange for beer tokens!!

Terry B G

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks guys for all your help. I have just dropped the beast off at 'The Z Farm' to get the immediate problems out of the way, will be taking it back in March for the other stuff. :confused:

If ever you meet me, smile at me sympathetically and buy me a beer, I'll be the skint bloke in the working car :unsure:

I'll let you know how I get on. :mad:

Terry B G