1972 240z on ebay

yet another one appears, but at 8 grand starting not enough information or detail to wet the appetite im affraid :( the seats look a bit tacky not that its a major problem but makes me think :unsure: about the rest

Yeah it's steep, seems to come with a lot of parts though.. You'd want to look very carefully. Just posting it for those that might be curious.

I don’t understand?

Why on this forum do we pathologically talk the price of our cars down? It seems as though we are ashamed to think that our cars might be worth something.

No one on this thread has looked at this car so how can we possibly comment on value!

I don’t understand?

Why on this forum do we pathologically talk the price of our cars down? It seems as though we are ashamed to think that our cars might be worth something.

No one on this thread has looked at this car so how can we possibly comment on value!

Well said... The other Z on ebay went for £3900.00 as a resto project that needed work.. That in my opinion makes a restorable project Z worth a minimum of £3200.00.

Have you ever held in your hands a pile of gold dust? Not only is is beautiful. Its worth a packet. Just like your Z's. A Datsun 240 260 in restorable condition is a very very desirable motor..:cheers:

And yet people are selling restorable Z's for less than £2000. Of course virtually anything is restorable so it's a very broad spectrum, no doubt some are worth £4000.

But as I said on another thread, cost of restorable project is limited by value of a very good example. You need to be arguing that good Z's are worth £20000 not that projects are worth £4000. Then you'll need to back that up with actual sold prices.

In this case I said it looked steep, bear in mind this is the starting bid, but that it would need looking at to decide whether it was worth it. Potentially it could be worth a lot more, 1972, lots of spares, and if straight and reasonably clear of rust it's a good buy.

My 240 is priceless because I won't sell it :lol:.

240's & 260 2 seaters have always been seriously under valued that is probably why most of the ones in the uk have been run into the ground & broken for spares, it is great to see them rising at long last, after all they are still the best affordable classic sports car in the world :thumbs:.

If I had the brass I would snap Len Welch's arm off because I recon his car is the best example in the uk & a bargain at offers over 20k, I am very very surprised to see Len's car on the market.

Yeah, the reason the price is so low is we all keep trying to sell them for it. They should be going up in value :)

If I had £8k I'd have it :D Can't tell if it has a hole in the roof or not though.

I wasn't belittling it. I was wondering why it had a reasonable price tag with so many spares. And, yes, if I had the money, Len's car would be my car. It's f*cking awesome.

If I had £8k I'd have it :D Can't tell if it has a hole in the roof or not though.

How can you say that Russ, you haven't even seen it. If this car is in Sandhurst it has been for sale recently for £10k (I think) and if the owner is the person I think it is then he owes the Z Club £15.

240Z values, here's a few points for discussion then:

My 350Z is worth about the same as the starting price being asked for this. I have just had a fantastic few days in the Yorkshire Dales driving on superb twisty roads in a lovely rust free performance car with all mod cons. Why is a restoration project considered to be worth the same?

Len's car is a superb example of a 240Z (but not original) and some think worth about the same as a brand new 370Z.

Some people are saying we should raise our prices and inflate the value of 240/260s - this is how we got into the credit crunch.

In my view a damn good 240 is worth about £15k anything more and it has got to be really special. Yes I know they cost more than that to build but that's the owner's choice.

Just my opinion, if you disagree please justify.

Last edited by a moderator:
"If I was starting from scratch for some reason, there is no way I'd pay 8 grand for that."

Well I am starting from scratch and without saying too much I have the cash at hand, (Not sure my wife would be happy with me though), and I wouldn't pay nearly nine grand for it either. To be worth that it has to be very close to a runner and that's not really what I'm looking for.

The £3900 one on ebay surprised me, Most of the price was built up before the guy put up detailed pics. Not criticising the vendor, he was very honest. When I looked at that car I saw it with the sills and floors already cut out.

Maybe Z's are worth £20000, but the buyer will decide the price or walk, it's got nothing to do with the sellers asking too little, especially for non-runners (no MOT).

My 350Z is worth about the same as the starting price being asked for this. I have just had a fantastic few days in the Yorkshire Dales driving on superb twisty roads in a lovely rust free performance car with all mod cons. Why is a restoration project considered to be worth the same?

Exactly, A resto can only be worth that much if it's a valuable car when completed. Personally I'd take a Z over an E-type any day, now we just need to persuade the rest of the world.

Obviously I'd have to look at it, I'm not going to drive all the way there just to justify a from the hip comment on a forum, but for £8k you can get some pretty boring modern cars, £8k is a lot of money to me right now but not to a lot of people when buying cars. All my neighbours cars are worth that or more and they're just pretty dull looking mercs and new euro boxes.

My argument would be that should be worth £8k (if it doesn't have lots of nasties) and if you can get a better example for less money then that example is under priced.

Rob said:

It's a modern car, value falls off them instantly, I can get a DB7 for £15k, one day when they're another 20-30 yrs older maybe they'll be worth more again. I don't see why the 350z being amazing value makes classic cars worth less? A bloody VW camper is silly money, for a poxy underpowered camper van, surely a similar vintage sports car should be worth more? :)

If the Z was worth more over the past 30 years then maybe there would be many more good examples around as it'd be worth spending the money on them. If we all keep trying to sell them to each other for £3k then they'll be like Allegros in ten years time. I think the Subaru club managed to increase the price of Imprezas by talking up the value between them.

prices

Would it not be reasonable to expect our cars to be comparable in value to similar cars of the same age and style,i dont know what cars you would deam to be similar ?
and i dont know there values ?
What i do know is how much mine is costing to get back on the road ,probably more than its worth.

Right, we need to get things in perspective here, if you look at the price guide in a classic car mag they are as follows;
Condition ?£2000. A complete resto.
Condition 2 £4500; A daily runner with MOT that needs work doing.
Condition ? £9000; Very good but might still need work doing.

So on reflection I think that THIS car is a £4500 one but I think that is too much for me to want it.
Infact I'd rather pay shipping charges on a car from Aus like this one that I recon went for about £7500 as it was going for $13000.
http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,6327.0.html

http://i45.tinypic.com/2942xzt.jpg

Back