VIN plates

Alhambra240

Active Forum User
Just curious, but I've noticed a couple of car adverts with VIN? plates shown attached with self tappers (as opposed to rivets). Was this an original fixing method?

Farmer42

Club Member
Someone will probably correct me but if it is the one in the engine bay, on most of the cars I have seen including mine, it is fixed with self tappers.

The one on the metal panel between the front of the dash and the windscreen is riveted.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Self-tappers means that the plate was removed (for painting) which is most likely if yours were UK ones:D

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Self-tappers on my 'original' car. I would bet my life on them being on the car from new.

datsfun

Club Member
Point taken. I've only ever seen rivets though...
Could it be because you have seen cars that have ALL been resprayed at some time in past and paint shop decided to replace the grubby screws with something more permanent like rivets ! :D;)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Could it be because you have seen cars that have ALL been resprayed at some time in past and paint shop decided to replace the grubby screws with something more permanent like rivets ! :D;)

Oh, now why didn't I think of that :) !:rolleyes:

Maybe Alan although any plate could be changed.....even bulkhead stamping so I'm told.....let alone bulkheads - it'll all come out in the wash ! ;)

uk66fastback

Club Member
The one in my door jamb (US car) is rivetted and you can mostly always spot a respray cos people never mask them up very well, OR remove the plate, spray and then replace with rivets.