"V" Sound from a straight six ??

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
I will probably get shot down in flames for heresy and I may get asked "why the f*** would you want to do that anyway ?" but I just wondered..........

With a V8 you get the "pockata pockata pockata" sound ...... if you made a manifold for a straight six so that each successive cylinder that fired alternated between two exhausts would it sound like a V engine ????

Might be quite cool really :cool:

JakTheRuby

Club Member
The reason that the V8 (& also the V10) make that sound is because of resonance. A V6/Straight 6/V12/W12 doesn't because multiples of 3 make for the perfect frequency for an engine block. I remember reading about it many, many moons ago whilst at college (in A-Level Physics, learning about frequency and energy and such the like). The V8 vibrates (incorrectly) producing deconstructive interference which is why it sounds cool. Just like a big V-Twin on a Harley, an 8 litre GM lump in the Dodge Viper and the good old honest to garden Chevy V8, it's all good. So, that's why. However, I reckon the sound from that 350HR in the 2007+ Z is really sexy. A really, really sweet note. I can't comment on any other Z's because I've never even sat in one (as much as I'd absolutely love to). Which is why at zedfest everyone must take me 'round the field' in their Z so I can judge which I like most!!!

Dale

Club Member
Which is why at zedfest everyone must take me 'round the field' in their Z so I can judge which I like most!!!

If the 'field' is anything like it was last year, driving faster than walking pace is impossible! :eek:

However, there's lots of loverly A-roads right outside the campsite! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Tony 260Z

Club Member
The Corvettes at Le Mans take some beating in the noise department. The diesel blah-blah's fizzle quietly past, the Astons grumble nicely but the 'Vettes just make you drool. They change into top and rumble past like they're doing 500 rpm :)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
The Corvettes at Le Mans take some beating in the noise department. The diesel blah-blah's fizzle quietly past, the Astons grumble nicely but the 'Vettes just make you drool. They change into top and rumble past like they're doing 500 rpm :)

They don't win though do they ?:p Where were you ?:confused:

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
"V" Sound from a straight six ??

i tried to get a V sound for my Dattari,not sure if it worked but i was bloody loud !!!!!
all i did was to use the motorsport auto exhaust manifold that goes 6-3-2 and then run the exhaust system as two separates with a cherry bomb on the end each ,similar to the nissan rally system(i think that it went into one exhaust back box) but i did not have a balance tube which would have smoothed out the sound as you could here one bank of 3 running different to the other 3.i think the balance tube would have helped to reduce the sound on the road as when you was in 4th gear it would hit what i call a sonic boom ,it was that loud i have some ear protection in the car but once you went to about 80-85 it was nowhere near as loud.

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
So I am not completely barking then :eek: ..... at least someone else has had the same thoughts, Will look forward to hearing the Dattari one day - if it sounds as good as it looks it will be tremendous.

Yokohama

Active Forum User
I have a system that I have had good luck with. The stock EFI exhaust manifold with the O2 sensor removed (if carb). then two pipes matched to the same diameter as the manifold output. The two pipes run separate with no cross-over (front 3 cylinders on on circuit and the rear 3 on the other as the L6 lends itself in terms of exhaust cycles to this system) in a horizontal side-by-side arrangement. There are two cherry bombs located in the middle of the car just back of the transmission again following the pipes in a side-by-side. After that it is just pipe out the back. The output is in a vertical arrangement, one pipe below the other.
The system resembles a racing exhaust system in ways, but I can tell you that it is perfect for the street and really frees up the engine.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I always thought that it's better (so not to lose power) to have the 'silencer' (s) as far back as poss. but agreee that your proposition can make a lovely sound........too lovely for the street in my opinion !

hedinsand

Well-Known Forum User
i used to have a tape recording of a rolls merlin which i used to turn up loud in my 240 many moons ago it sounded the biz