uprated fuel system help with pictures pls

Leo40z

Well-Known Forum User
hi all

as im now converting my 240 to EFI ive been reading and been told that they suffer from fuel starvation.

could anyone show me if they dont mind how they over come this issue? either being buffled sump or fitting a surge tank.

im aiming for 250bhp so i would prefer to fit a surge tank,but would i need one or two external fuel pumps?

many thanks

leo:thumbs:

What kind of EFI are you converting to? An electric pump and a regulator should do just fine imho.

When you say efi do you mean a complete system with throttle bodies, injectors and an ecu....or bolting on the single throttle body 280zx setup,

Either way the stock 240 fuel tank will need modifying, injection pump(s) fitted and possibly a surge tank

Aside from that, how do you propose to get 250 hp

I run a 3 litre 300hp setup on throttle bodies which took me a long time and a heap of money to get right.

my engine has been built with oversized low comp pistons, port and polished head. and with currant setup with the janspeed turbo conversion its running about 220bhp.

so with a 280zx N/A inlet and a 280zx turbo manifold,custom fuel rail from lonewolf in the states,bosch top feed injectos and a HKS fcon v pro im sure with the right turbo choice 250bhp is do able.

my engine has been built with oversized low comp pistons, port and polished head. and with currant setup with the janspeed turbo conversion its running about 220bhp.

so with a 280zx N/A inlet and a 280zx turbo manifold,custom fuel rail from lonewolf in the states,bosch top feed injectos and a HKS fcon v pro im sure with the right turbo choice 250bhp is do able.

Got 297 from mine at 0.9 bar, Emerald K6 ECU and standard 280zx turbo injectors. Make sure you use a decent mapper.

Good ...... more detail, the reason I asked is that I have lost count of the "I need 250HP" threads but nearly all have been refering to NA setups, now that you mention the dreaded spinny (turbo power is for girls;)) thing then I see where your going:thumbs:

The 240 tank is very basic in its design and is fine for a modest carb'd setup but lacks one or two things key to FI

Baffling (to reduce surge and slap)

Suitable sized return (EFI requires a much greater constant bleed back to the tank from the pressure regulator)

An third would be an immersed pump

To get around this various people have done various things such as leave the tank alone (aside from a bigger return line) and fit a surge tank with an intermediate lifter pump(s)

Modify an existing tank to incorporate baffles and a pump (no surge tank needed)

Design and build a replacement tank with all or some of the goodies

All of them are not without problem (too much to talk about in a short post)

My small contribution with the L28 supercharged, based on Mike Feeney predesign with components:
Standard 280ZX fuel tank with big succion tubing with filter to feed a low pressure large volume electric pump (250liters/hour) (not immersed)
This low pressure pump fills a surge tank about half gallon capacity
The surge tank then feeds two high pressure pumps through filters, feeding the fuel rail.
The pressure regulator is located after the fuel rail, allowing return to the surge tank.
Overfilling of the surge tank is returning to the fuel tank.
Low pressure pump, surge tank, filters, high pressure pumps all located in the boot.
Track days, even at Spa Francorchamps where the G's are serious with the hilly shape, never gave any lack of fuel supply.

Back