Un leaded fuel

Matt Long

Well-Known Forum User
This occurred to me whilst I sit and wait for my car to arrive from the US

Can I run a 72 series 3 car on unleaded or will it need converting

johnymd

Club Member
Series 3?

I understand what a series 1 and maybe guess roughly what a series 2 may be but series 3? And don't say it's the one after series 2 :)

I'm sorry I can't answer about unleaded but I thought you could run them all on it. I use an additive anyway which I think helps.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
According to the internet:

'THE SERIES III 240Z's were produced from Aug. 1971 through Sept. of 1972. These cars are identified by the re-designed center console with the ash try behind the shift lever (because of the use of the newer "B" style transmissions, cig. lighter moved to the dash.

These cars were all sold as 1972 Model Year cars, because they complied with the 1972 Safety and Emissions standards only.'

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Ah, 'THE internet', the oracle :rolleyes:

So which series cars please, did Europe and the rest of the export world get ?

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I'd imagine that the other markets have their own 'Series' depending on market and year?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Europe got second best and as usual we got the craap

Rubbish - every S30 sold in Europe was superior in spec to that sold in the States....unless you infer that the 260Z from '75-78 was infoerior to the 280Z with its surfboard bumpers ?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I'm pretty sure a 72 car is going to have the bronze inlet valve seats, so will want additive (or the seats replacing, or a switch to a later head)

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
@ Mr Tenno

Just for info, the whole "series" thing is a bit of a mine field, hence some of the responce, much of the "internet oracle" stuff is through US eyes and as such is often full of holes as many of our colonial friends still believe that the S30 was hand made for them by Mr K.

Alans your best man for this but my limited understanding is that we tend to look at at it as we do today with facelift type mentality with absolute cutoff dates but in reality the lines were a little more blurred....

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Totally agree SKiddell, 'Series' don't really exist - I was just trying to give John some context on Matt's remark.

Perhaps it would have been better prefixed with 'According to the opinions of US enthusiasts on the internet and only referring to US-Spec cars...'

I'd never completely trust the internet as an oracle for anything! :D