This stuff seems to work!

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Just thought I'd post a note about a product I have tried that has produced some excellent results in my 260Z.

I had read a few articles about something called Amtech Engine Restore - a liquid you add to the engine's oil that is supposed to help renew older engines, improve performance and stop any smoking (not that I had any of that).

I was very sceptical about these sort of things, but the motoring journalist Quentin Willson, who writes a lot about classic cars, seemed very impressed with the stuff and from what I can see, he is not being paid to endorse it.

Anyway, I thought it wouldn't do any harm to give it a try, so added the recommended amount at the last oil change.

Now, 1000 miles later, the engine really is running as sweet as a nut and on top of that, my average fuel consumption around town has gone up from about 20mpg to 23mpg. I have also just come back from a trip to Wales, with a good mix of motorway and rural road driving, and was amazed to find I had achieved 30.1mpg despite giving it a bit of thrutch here and there.

The stuff's not cheap to buy, but so far I'm impressed. Maybe I'm imagining things, but if you want to read some press articles on it, you can find them on the company's website here:

Ametech Press Articles

And some testimonials here:

Ametech Testimonials

Last edited by a moderator:

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
We're all looking for dreams in a can

No chemical on earth can selectivly repair worn componants without compromising others (oilways, bearings)

What they can do though is modify the viscosity under heat and pressure and "appear" to improve piston seal and damp down engine wear noise

There is only one fix for a worn engine,,,,,strip down and replace.

Google snake oil and you will find endless references to junk of this nature

Any information available on the manufacturers website features poor science and unqualified testimonials

I would want to see dyno results and lab test data.

Maybe our resident Oilman would care to comment

bigblock

Well-Known Forum User
If you really want a performance oil(no need for additives) go for an actual fully synthetic ester/pao based oil or the nano oils, for a non highly stressed engine just go for any a3/b3 or a3/b4 oil usually stated on back label(again no need for additives) the later oils are mainly mileage and low ash oils and what not for all this co2 *****.There again we all do as we please.:):)Dare i bring up the subject of ZDDP.

Attachments

• 2010_ACEA_Oil_Sequences.pdf
    479.9 KB · Views: 13
  • The Truth about SYNTHETICS v 2.pdf
    71.3 KB · Views: 8

rsdave

Well-Known Forum User
quentin wilson is a motorin journo isnt he? that means he gets paid to endorse **** products and feed **** to people who dont know any better.

jay_portishead

Well-Known Forum User
Did anyone watch the recent Wheeler Dealers where they used an apparently new system to clean the fuel, engine and exhaust system of an XK8 and showed before and after emissions readings?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Did anyone watch the recent Wheeler Dealers where they used an apparently new system to clean the fuel, engine and exhaust system of an XK8 and showed before and after emissions readings?

Yes I did. I thought about this in relation to Nissan Servicing and Engine Fuel System cleaning but I think they must just use an additive. D

Did I believe it, :unsure: It's probably good on a very poor old vehicle and not on any serviced by Nissan I would have thought. IMO of course.

Redex - I often hear folks talk about how good it was. Sometimes they say they poured it in the carb and 'you should see the **** that came out of the exhaust' Hardly surprising really :lol: I've seen that done too, I'd rather keep my carbs for petrol ingestion!

Throttleton

Well-Known Forum User
Redex and other similar 'one shot' remedies were a load of bull as well rob.
All it was, was a type of mineral oil, the '****' coming out was just burning oil.
You wouldn't believe the profit margins on those little bottles when you price up buying a keg off the stuff...

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
quentin wilson is a motorin journo isnt he? that means he gets paid to endorse **** products and feed **** to people who dont know any better.

When it comes to engines, maybe I 'don't know any better', but speaking as someone who was, until fairly recently, Assistant Editor of the Manchester Evening News, I probably know a little more than you about the media, and can tell you that motoring journalists are NOT paid to endorse products, because in doing so they would lose their credibility as independent writers and jeopardise their editorial independence.

I too am sceptical about 'snake oil' cures. And I accept that badly worn components will not be magically cured by additives.

However, all I can report is my own experience - my car is running sweeter than ever and my fuel consumption, which I measure carefully, is significantly improved - and having read a huge number of reviews about it on the internet, I have found nothing to suggest this stuff can harm an engine.

Maybe it's coincidence. Maybe the stuff works. Whatever, I'm happy - and just thought I would let you know my experience. If you don't want to try it then fine, it matters not to me!

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
" I have found nothing to suggest this stuff can harm an engine."

No just your wallet

I have some special magnets to put on your fuel line if you want, they re align the petrol molecules allowing it to flow easier.

If you don't fancy those then I have some new clothes given to me by an emperor

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
motoring journalists are NOT paid to endorse products, because in doing so they would lose their credibility as independent writers and jeopardise their editorial independence.

:eek:

I'd heard the MEN still had integrity, but didn't believe it until now :)

rsdave

Well-Known Forum User
When it comes to engines, maybe I 'don't know any better', but speaking as someone who was, until fairly recently, Assistant Editor of the Manchester Evening News, I probably know a little more than you about the media, and can tell you that motoring journalists are NOT paid to endorse products, because in doing so they would lose their credibility as independent writers and jeopardise their editorial independence.

I too am sceptical about 'snake oil' cures. And I accept that badly worn components will not be magically cured by additives.

However, all I can report is my own experience - my car is running sweeter than ever and my fuel consumption, which I measure carefully, is significantly improved - and having read a huge number of reviews about it on the internet, I have found nothing to suggest this stuff can harm an engine.

Maybe it's coincidence. Maybe the stuff works. Whatever, I'm happy - and just thought I would let you know my experience. If you don't want to try it then fine, it matters not to me!
maybe you know more aboout media maybe not about the real world, herd of the term bung have you? and if you were the ass editer on the men you of all people should know most of what gets written in news papers is bollox anyway.

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
maybe you know more aboout media maybe not about the real world, herd of the term bung have you? and if you were the ass editer on the men you of all people should know most of what gets written in news papers is bollox anyway.

Thank you for your informed argument, based on which I see little point in continuing this debate.

rsdave

Well-Known Forum User
Thank you for your informed argument, based on which I see little point in continuing this debate.
No offence but sitcking some addative in your oil wont make your engine run sweeter or do more to gallon. face it uv had your pants pulled down, but if it makes you happy
crack on.

bigblock

Well-Known Forum User
£22 to £30wtf thereabouts for 400ml for a 2litre engine now that sounds like a big profit/ripoff for a mostly refined mineral oil with a small percentage of so called active additives(copper,lead and tiny amount of silver).Please don't give these ************* your hard earned money so they can build a second swimming pool at your expense,now i couldn't give two *****what someone else does but i despise seeing people being taken advantage of.I have no doubt it may work as a temporary fix(sawdust in axle?)but in a good runner a filler won't do your crosshatching and wotnot much good.Really read and investigate the terminology in the attachment and ponder is it it really value for money?.:):)oh and a get out clause?attachment.

Attachments

• Restore Engine Restorer.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • What is RESTORE-.jpeg
    What is RESTORE-.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 11

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
I have often found this forum helpful when I have needed advice about my car - and I have appreciated the help I have been given.

But what can be a little disappointing about this forum is that someone posts something for discussion, and it rapidly degenerates into people being sarcastic, 'clever' or even offensive.

I have never posted anything other than positive items on here to be shared by people who are all enthusiastic about the same car. A discussion, by its very nature, may lead to disagreement, but there are WAYS to disagree.

I simply tried a product, it seemed to produce good results, and I shared that information. As a result, I find myself being branded an idiot.

I have frequently seen posts from other people descend into little more than bickering and point-scoring and it makes me disinclined to post in this way in the future.

Oh, and a note to moderators - a couple of RSDave's comments referring to Quentin Willson should probably be removed or the club may find itself facing an action for defamation. I know about these things.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
With respect, all of the buying information you need is out there for you to make an informed choice....some do, some don't, but lets face it, over the years engine oil additives have been done to death, its has even had big courtcases surrounding it (Slick 50 anyone) the consistent message is that there is no empirical proof what so ever that these things work, that being the case.
Plus its also been previouisly discussed on this forum so the use of the "search" function may have helped.

With regards to product endorsements, no "face" ever endorses a product out of the goodness of their heart, there is always some gain, its called business.

rsdave

Well-Known Forum User
Take a look at ametech web site and all the testimonials, i put this in my bently and i fixed my smokey old knacker, i put in my smokey old sierra cosworth( an engine i have lots of experience of) and it transformed it, anyone who could read and believe that ***** would have to be realy supid
sorry.

johnymd

Club Member
This forum has turned to into a sorry state. I'm becoming ashamed to be part of it. This guy has posted his honest opinion on a product and has been set upon by the wolves. I fear the posts will dry by people for fear of being treated the same.

I won't be starting threads anymore after the outcome of my last one and will look for a forum with more grow up members.