S30 Wiper-arm orientation

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I'm currently doing some refurbishment work on my Blue car's wipers because some parts are badly worn.

This might seem a bit 'anal' but I think many members will discover that they have their wiper arms (not blades) fitted incorrectly.

First of all have a look at your car or pics of it.

Are the wiper arms different lengths?

If so is the long one on the drivers side or passenger side?

Please post your findings. :thumbs:

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
I took mine off to save weight.

No I'm only joking. I think mine are long one on the drivers side.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Mine are the same length too, and they say 'made in england' on the back so I'm guessing they aren't original!

Stockdale

Club Member
Mine are original as far as I know. Its a RHD car and the longer arm is on the pasanger side (about 330mm from the wiper pin to the extreme edge of the securing nut. The drivers side (which has a design 'kink' near to the wiper fixing point is about 305mm long.

Wyn

Club Member
Diffo length and shape ...
From memory I thought they had an R and L on them as well?

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
On my RHD car the driver side chrome wiper is roughly half to 1" longer . Has G stamped on the top of both .

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Ok as I thought, we have cars with the same length, long on driver's side and long on passenger's side!

S30 wiper efficiency is rubbish so in my mind this is important.

Please keep the posts coming in.

I have two S30's and the orientation was different so that's why I started the Thread.

If you look at pictures of these cars the wipers are all over the place, very often partly off the screen too.

Wyn, yes you are correct there is a left and right.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
A sure sign of worn out wipers and linkage like most :D

Yes and that's why I'm sorting mine but the left and right wipers have a different bend on them too. If installed incorrectly it won't help.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Rob,

Mine are identical both sides and 31.5cm centre of nut to end. Have attached photo of what is stamped on inside of right arm ...
edu5ypa9.jpg

And left which to me looks the same ...

zabu5aja.jpg

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Mine are original as far as I know. Its a RHD car and the longer arm is on the pasanger side (about 330mm from the wiper pin to the extreme edge of the securing nut. The drivers side (which has a design 'kink' near to the wiper fixing point is about 305mm long.

That is the correct fitting, i.e. short wiper on Driver's side, long on Passenger side.

The give-away is the stamping on the back 54R for right, 54L for left.

So 7 people replied and 5 have incorrect wiper fitment. I know others are wrong too because I've looked at some 'Galleries' etc. I have also seen 2 LHD cars this year with RHD wiper configuration.

Last edited by a moderator:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
That would explain why my passenger side wiper blade connects with the bottom of screen when at extreme vertical position! I always thought that was not how Mr Datsun had intended ;)

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Nope vertical. So when it wipes and goes to it's right most position, the right edge of the blade touches the centre of the screen rubber at the bottom of the screen. But if the arm was marginally longer it wouldn't.

So, now u have me thinking about yet another part how do I find the right length left arm then!? ;)

RichZ

Club Member
My wipers, as I have found are on the wrong way round. From the points I measured them there is about a 3cm difference. I found the 54L (36cm) and 54R (33cm). I had the same problem as smileyinside where the blade catches the windscreen rubber at the bottom in the middle. When I bought the car they were not on it and I didn't notice the difference so just put them on (50/50 and I lost!!!). I will swap these when I have time thank you for a very useful post Rob.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Rich,

The good thing is they are different sizes on yours. I'd be interested to know how you get on!

Ali

RichZ

Club Member
Ali and all,
I have swaped my wipers around and the extra 3cm makes the difference. No more catching on the windscreen rubber. I have attached a photo of where I took my measurements from. Hope you get yours sorted Ali.

I put the picture on because I am not the best with terminology (a picture paints a thousand words) and I am only a learner myself and if anyone thinks I'm doing something incorrect please let me know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 45

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Brilliant! Thank you Rich, greatly appreciated!

Now I just need to locate the right sized ones, maybe Peter Mc may have some.

A