Rally replica on Ebay

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
looks good, wouldn't mind those minilites it has either. i holiday near skipton never seen it around though which i guess in a way is a good thing

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
290bhp........renound......

Vented discs and 4 pot callipers by Wellwood

Not FIA spec then.

15 inch Minilite magnesium wheels ?

Throttleton

Well-Known Forum User
Makes for an interesting point though....
A 'replica' value verses a 'genuine' value.
If both cars are built exactly the same, and the replica sells for 25 grand but the genuine sells for 50 grand, is the 'history' worth double??

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
No offence to the car or owner ( I'm actually sticking up for it ) but the "replica" side of this car is not anything more than a paint job and some stickers.

Other than that, not a single part is really anything like the special Works parts that were on the '73 RAC 'Kallstrom' car ( which still exists, by the way...... ).

So any comments about supposed value of the real thing at £50k ( dream on ) in comparison are neither here nor there.

This car looks like an honest and decently built job, but it's absolutely nothing like a genuine Works car.....

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah, I must say that Throttletons' £50K did appear a mite under-valued.........!

It's more of a tribute car than a replica - no ?........."if both crs are built the same.....":D

Eff it, if I wantd some rally fun over here and had the money, I'd have it ! Might have to get it reliably rolling-roaded just to check the output though :rolleyes:

JK240

Club Member
No offence to the car or owner ( I'm actually sticking up for it ) but the "replica" side of this car is not anything more than a paint job and some stickers.

Other than that, not a single part is really anything like the special Works parts that were on the '73 RAC 'Kallstrom' car ( which still exists, by the way...... ).

Where is the original 73 car now, is it UK or stashed in the old Zama assembly plant?

Albrecht said:
So any comments about supposed value of the real thing at £50k ( dream on ) in comparison are neither here nor there.

What do you think it's true value would be if it ever came up for sale?

Albrecht said:
This car looks like an honest and decently built job, but it's absolutely nothing like a genuine Works car.....

Have you got some good quality pictures of the real thing for a comparison, or are there any around the web?

Throttleton

Well-Known Forum User
The figures were just to make a point, I don't really have any idea what the 'genuine' value is.
I just wondered if a car was built to the same spec as the 'Kallstrom' car for example but had zero use would it be worth the same or would the history of the Kallstrom car inflate the price way beyond the replica just because it has raced and has a history.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
The figures were just to make a point, I don't really have any idea what the 'genuine' value is.
I just wondered if a car was built to the same spec as the 'Kallstrom' car for example but had zero use would it be worth the same or would the history of the Kallstrom car inflate the price way beyond the replica just because it has raced and has a history.

The answer is obvious and it would be 'impossible' to build an exact replica anyway.:)

Go have a drink.:rolleyes:

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
HOW expensive?!

Looks like a bolt in cage, cheap seats, cheap harnesses, the harnesses are also around the rear strut bar which also looks to be like a bolt in one? If so thats pretty un-safe...

And at a guess being a '72 import means it will register after '73 and be a non tax free car...

Rather buy a mint/excellent standard Z for 10-15k than a messed with LHD car. Made to look worse with some horrific stickers and dodgy fog lights (Sorry I mean rally!).

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I don't suppose that the works cars had rear wing repeaters and multi-door speakes either ?

Did someone do this in California because it's the only rally 240Z that was know to be LHD ?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I think the comments are quite harsh tbh, it might be a good car - looks reasonable to me.

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
It might be, as you rightly say, Rob, a good car. But has it got all the trick bits ( for that, read 'expensive' bits ), and the strengthened Bodyshell work, etc., to make it a proper Stage Rally Car build ?

And I'm waiting for Skiddy's comments about the '290bhp' Engine....and his views on 'American Horsepower' ratings.

And just for reference, the very nice Replica Works car of Brad Gottleib which was built a couple of years ago by Greenwood Motorsport, cost him well into a six-figure final build. And that is six figures - without any dots in the middle....