Not often discussed, best interiors?

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
Which car has the best interior, ever?

I think the older Z's interior is quite awful, all that moulded plastic and deep sunk dials...

So whats best? Lambos/Ferraris?

Mr.G

Club Member
LOL! You really do know how to win friends and influence people Mark! ;)

This site has lots of early Z owners who I am sure will disagree with your comment above...:)

Yes it's plastic, but I think it is very aesthetic and still very functional. The dials are pefectly placed. Ok the interior can be a bit dark, but saying its awful is a bit harsh!:p But you are obviously entitled to that opinion.

Have you ever sat inside a Z? Can't say anyone I know who has, has said the interior is awful...

DJZ 60

Well-Known Forum User
Design.

It is pure functional,I have seen the design team,aided by computer's( 38-40) years ago...maximising the ultimate driving position,driver reach & other things....It is mind blowing how smart the Nissan Motor company
design team were in perfecting the prototype developments,& all those years ago.
You can 'skin' your seats & dash & recover in leather or suede
or make one out of fibreglass & framing,to get something different.
DJ'Datsun'260Z 2+2.:cool:

friday

Well-Known Forum User
Ahhh...a topic that is close to my heart at the moment. I've ripped out the interior of my Z32 and am in the process of finalising the designs for a new interior (seats, dash, door-cards, rear enclosure etc etc...something functional but stylish hopefully).

For me, it's Spyker every time. The body may look a bit "fish-like" but the inside...oh joy of joys...:D

spyker_04.jpg

A close second at the moment is the Bugatti veyron interior:

1645-1.jpg

This last one has always stuck in my mind as quite clean and futuristic whilst not straying to far into the "bling-hell" of Max Power. A modified Supra IV dash:

IMG_0153reduced.jpg

Post up some pics of your favourites folks. Like Mark, I'd be very interested to see what people go for while I'm designing mine :)

Leigh.

DJZ 60

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Friday.....

Great pics, I like the Buggati colour scheme etc.I suppose the
interior complements the exterior/paintwork & vice versor. DJZ 60.:rolleyes:

Arkwright

Inactive
I think the 240 style dash is very functional although the rest of the trim is a little poor by todays standards. However although not being the tops in its day it was reasonably good.
As far as rubbish is concerned i think the TVR takes some beating. It looks like Blind Pugh stuck the dials on when he was drunk.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I like the TVRs very much, so there !

I love the 240 interior if one can replace the door trims (I did) and tidy up under the dashboard (I haven't yet) !

I like the Fiat coupé turbo dash with the body colour theme running across the front and also the Honda Prelude (older digital version) - looks like the glasses the blind, black guy had on the New Star Trek Voyager !

friday

Well-Known Forum User
Have to agree on the TVR front as well, sorry Derek. Very organic design and I admit to having a penchant for that "hand-stitched" finish.

Tony 260Z

Club Member
I like the early Z layout in terms of the way it puts information in front of you. Clear, concise, no frills, easy to read. I have to agree that the plastic leaves a lot to be desired by modern standards, but you have to think of it in terms of the late 60's and early 70's when it must have been all the rage. Just thank goodness they didn't make it in brown with big orange flowers on it!

As for modern cars, well, I haven't seen that many to be honest, but I do like the way TVR do their interiors in an almost organic way. The cars can be a bit agricultural at times, but they were designed by someone who looked at Page 3 of the Sun that morning and thought "Yeah.... curves". Ferrari's I can take or leave - early ones too illogical, late ones too clinical. The Enzo has a clever steering wheel but I'd be too scared by the speed I was doing to notice the LED's lighting up. Porsche? I've never really looked - too many city boys drive them! A couple of people I know have had various 911's which were all very rapid but there wasn't any soul in them.

I DO like some Aston Martin interiors (DB9 yes please) but that's 'cos I dream about owning a Vantage one day!

One of the best was a friend's Bentley Brooklands which had a very "old english" interior. Not very ergonomic but damn near silent and the chrome was a good quarter-inch thick. An absolute luxo-barge :)

I was looking at the Spyker at Le Mans and yes, it's pretty wild!

I like my Z32 as well of course!

Arkwright

Inactive
Wow, just looked at that SAAB website, some motor!
sorry guys you can't help being wrong about TV(a)R(se). I've never liked them, much to the annoyance of my sons (who worship them) and my older cousin who has owned several. Anyway aren't they now Ladas?

Jimijitsu

Well-Known Forum User
tvr for me lovely interior on most of them or the interior in my zed also another favorite but its mine so it would be:p

Tony 260Z

Club Member
Well, I love the TVR interiors, admire their engine note and drool over their design. Sadly I often wince at their build quality!

Although I did find a private plate on Ebay the other day which made me laugh and I considered posting up on the TVR owners website...

"V8 GAY"

Hehehehehe....

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
Mr.G said:
LOL! You really do know how to win friends and influence people Mark! ;)

This site has lots of early Z owners who I am sure will disagree with your comment above...:)

Yes it's plastic, but I think it is very aesthetic and still very functional. The dials are pefectly placed. Ok the interior can be a bit dark, but saying its awful is a bit harsh!:p But you are obviously entitled to that opinion.

Have you ever sat inside a Z? Can't say anyone I know who has, has said the interior is awful...

Hehe :) I'm sure its functional, but its as ugly as sin! I've sat in and driven a 240... the dials were misted up! Thats how bad it was!

I didn't like the way they were sunken in to almost tunnels, so you couldn't read em properly!

I like a little more luxury in my motors, love the TVR hand stitched work, and like things minimal. I also like digital setups, so that Saab Aero X idea looks amazing!

I have a laser cutter, so maybe thats something to be looked into! :D

Thanks for the photos and ideas chaps! Sorry I was so mean to the old Z's! :D

Mr.G

Club Member
Ugly as Sin.. LOL!

Misted Dials.. Never had that!

Anyway, I hope you get your GTO and make a cool interior, maybe some of us with UGLY as SIN interior Zs can get some ideas.:unsure:

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
hahaha calm! :D I'm not attacking anyone! :D Just stating my thoughts! :)

I'm torn between a GTO and a 350c at the moment... :) The missus wants a house, so I may get neither :D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Markp.com said:
Hehe :) I'm sure its functional, but its as ugly as sin! I've sat in and driven a 240... the dials were misted up! Thats how bad it was!

I didn't like the way they were sunken in to almost tunnels, so you couldn't read em properly!

I like a little more luxury in my motors, love the TVR hand stitched work, and like things minimal. I also like digital setups, so that Saab Aero X idea looks amazing!

Yawn, a Z is what you make it - if you want more luxury - put it in 'à la James Taylor' !

But if you don't like the sunken dials (one of the best and most positively praised aspects of the Zs dashboard - compare them to the flat Triumph and MG ones) I despair !
As for a digital set-up, I'm sure that that's what Enzo wanted for the GTO so do it !

I think you chose a poor Z to sit and drive in - I've never had the problem of misted up dials and "ugly as sin" is pretty harsh isn't it ?

Thanks for the laughs Mark ! Sorry I was so rude to you !

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Ex

Inactive
SeanDezart said:
Yawn, a Z is what you make it - if you want more luxury - put it in 'à la James Taylor' !

But if you don't like the sunken dials (one of the best and most positively praised aspects of the Zs dashboard - compare them to the flat Triumph and MG ones) I despair !
As for a digital set-up, I'm sure that that's what Enzo wanted for the GTO so do it !

I think you chose a poor Z to sit and drive in - I've never had the problem of misted up dials and "ugly as sin" is pretty harsh isn't it ?

Thanks for the laughs Mark ! Sorry I was so rude to you !

I don't normaly agree with you Sean but I do on this one.

PS. I think all modern family cars have poxy dashes so I can't see anything wrong with 240/260 ones!:D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Every time I get in my 240, I wish I could drive it all the time, every day !
I used to with Roxy back in the early '90s - every day to work !

It feels so right and the plastic interior is no worse than a modern day Mercedes ! No tacky bits of wooden trim, no bling alu. or chrome, just easy to clean, get-on-with-it driving simplicity !