Minor updates complete...

240z

Club Member
Finally got my dump pipe fitted and and de-cat, a lot of effort, had to remove turbos and mate the pipe to the existing system, but all done now, must be working well as I now have slight boost creep issues, so I'll be having to remap the boost map :eek:

Should also get it back on the dyno, and see whether I get the same performance kick as this chap..

Unfortunately I still won't have the chance to drive it for a bit as I have the insurance assesmment and re-paint work to do.. :mad:

Attachments

• soarer build up-crop.jpg
    soarer build up-crop.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 44

240z

Club Member
well took it to the local dyno today - and not great news, as he noticed a hint of detonation above 5500 at 15psi, I was hoping the exhaust wouldn't make too much of a difference to the mapping (at least not to the ignition map) and I could get away with it. But no, looks like I need to take some timing out and spend a morning on a decent dyno. The one I used had no way to plot the AFRs or boost.

They did say though that the knock wouldn't have been audible without the knocklink headphones, so I might have been driving it like that for a while:eek:

They also said I'm not running too lean, which was good news, so maybe the fueling is OK.

Anyone got any spare cash for a mapping session? :rolleyes:

240z

Club Member
What I can say I was getting 280 at the wheels at 5500, so wasn't too disheartened at that.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
twoforty said:
must be very nice to drive!

Having been privilaged to drive it, I can confirm that it is.
Power delivery is remarkably smooth with no hint of turbo lag.

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
SKiddell said:
Having been privilaged to drive it, I can confirm that it is.
Power delivery is remarkably smooth with no hint of turbo lag.

Likewise, the car drives very well.

And Phil, it looks the nuts with those new wheels.

240z

Club Member
thanks all..

now pulling out all the stops for the track day, still have to fit:

front anti-roll bar,
wheel bearings all round,
adjustable platforms,
springs,
dampers,
adjustable compression rods and arms.
full alignment.

all before friday :eek:

Was a bit gutted about the dyno, I thought things might have changed after the exhaust updates, but was secretly hoping that it would all be ok.

I was also hoping for over 300hp at the wheels at 6500-7000, but never got to find out.

On a techie note, can anyone think why a free flowing exhaust would necessitate timing changes? I thought the only consequence would be a possible leaning out and therefore might need some fuelling changes?

240z

Club Member
Last edited by a moderator:

240z

Club Member
front anti-roll bar,
wheel bearings all round,
adjustable platforms,
springs,
dampers,
adjustable compression rods and arms.
full alignment.

now all done (many thanks to Dave Jarman :bow: ) with custom steering arms also - and feels fantastic - finally got to have a good dry test yesterday, completely transformed the handling. Its been fully corner weighted and aligned, I now have some rake, before the rear sat low.. can't wait to try it out on the track, I think I'll go back to colerne again was really good last time.

now just need to get the car sprayed and I'm done - phew!

Attachments

• IMG_0784-s.JPG
    IMG_0784-s.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 68

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Hey Phil, where have you been all year....good to hear your getting sorted, thought you had moved away and left us.

BTW what spring rates are you running now.

I got my knuckles rapped at Combe earlier this year by DJ and Matt because I was using "girly" spring rates, (200 front and 185 rear) and I had a very bad day, tyres clipping the (massively cut back) arches at every opportunity...even Dezart managed to make me look like captain slow:eek: so I tried 250 rears 200 fronts at Silverstone which was a huge improvement, but still not quiet good enough so I'm now at 300 rears and 250 fronts, and its starting to feel like a half decent car.....I think I'll end up at 350/300s in the end.......
I went around Donington with Rob Gaskin the other day for a few hours and had an absolutely brilliant time, the car produced some good results but was still understeering a bit to much for my liking and the turn in wasnt sharp enough, (see I'm learning all the right jargon, havent a clue what they mean but I'm getting there) when I reviewed the photographs later its plain to see the car still has excessive body roll despite the fairly heavy springs (some would argue they are still girly) and mahoosive anti roll bars etc but I have a DJ plan to sort all that out;).

240z

Club Member
well.. only managed to get to japfest so far.. and no drag challenges - lucky the weather has been rubbish and I haven't missed too much;)

not sure on the exact spec of springs but they are in the 300 range, (under advisement), might not be quite so good for the 60fts though.

Just need to get some testing done now but turn in definitely feels a lot sharper on the road .

how was donnington as a track? fancy joining me on a colerne track day?

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Phil

Suprisingly by going to a firm coilover setup my 60fts didnt suffer, in fact I am fairly confident that they have improved (down to consistent mid to low 1.9's...best 1.91) the reason I am not sure is that I have done so much other work over elsewhere which is clouding things slightly

Donington was ace, brilliant track, the instructor was excellent and the day extreamly well organised

Where is colerne?
Come to Donington....it will blow you away

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Steve, what length springs are you using? 300lb:eek: My car felt like it had no springs with 250 rear and 200 front

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
What inserts are you +300lb types using out of interest? I'm guessing not the standard Tokico replacements.

Cheer,
Rob