Just buying a Z

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Hi guys and gals,

Having had two previous Z's many many moons ago (240 + 260 Samuri) I have got sick of Mercs and BMWs and am having a proper car again. No ABS, no airbags, loadsa noise, loadsa fun.

I have been asking around to see if Spike still does conversions and have been told he now runs a bar in Spain !!! This is not guaranteed, just what I was told.

I will stick with the german autobahn cruiser for the 40K miles I do for work but am planning to have a Californian 240Z rebuilt by Fourways Engineering with a 2.9 motor giving about 240BHP. I have spoken to Geoff (or Jeff - I don't know) and am going to sort the deal. He was incredibly helpful I have to say.

It is like being a little kid again at Christmas - I was a Z Club member about 15 years ago and even got an award for the longest distance driven to a meeting, still got the old magazines :)

Any pointers, advice ? Fourways is the name I remember as being about the best there is, am I barking up the right tree ?

Can anyone help fill me in on the current state of Z's in the UK ? Many about ? Who does the best work ? etc

OOOOOOOOOh I'm excited :)

Andy:cool:

I agree, Dave Jarman for tuning,mod,s etc. & Fourway's do build's & restoration work along with the Z farm.
DJZ 60.

i dont know dave jarman but im pleased with the stuff fourways have done for me and yes i agree geoff is very helpful.

Yes,Fourway's are helpful & also stock part's(link's section),but they are a tad on the expensive side.........DJZ 60.

Thanks for your replies guys,

Found the car, sorting the cash this week, hopefully be driving it totally rebuilt by March.

Who is Dave Jarman please and how do I get hold of him ? What makes his engine mods the best ?

How do I post photos ????

Cheers

Andy

Hi,Zhead.Dave Jarman's Number: 01453 833451.
Dave is very committed,experienced in road & race & has a good track record .............................................DJZ 60.

JUst worked out how to post pics in the gallery.. REMEMBER......this car is not actually mine YET. Money is changing hands this week. I have a verbal agreement to hold it and email confirmation I am buying it so fingers crossed.

Thanks DJ,

Not to decry anyone elses work because I know there are several absolutely excellent people around like the Z Farm and Fourways but what makes Dave's engines so good ?

Is the opinion based on price, performance, tractability ?? What ?

I will definitely give him a call. Looking for lots of torque, about 5 sec ish to 60, good throaty noise but still tractable for driving in traffic. The trusted advice I have had so far is to go for a 2.9, do you have any view on what would be a good alternative to standard ?

Cheers

Andy

I know a few people who have had Dave Jarman do the honour's on their car's & they are well pleased.
He bore's engine out to 3.1,plus suspension,brake's & other mod's.at the end of the day all the above mentioned people offer a good service,test the water,speak to them all then make a decision & when your car's complete give it to me.............................................................DJZ 60.

Why Dave Jarmen ? Because his prepared cars have consistently won and keep winning whether on the circuit or rallying; Because he builds 'em to his own winning specs (you get more 'real' horse' per pound than ANY other builder, and he recovers other race cars built elsewhere from other sourcES and put's 'em right ! You have to drive a car before and after to know why I and others have put our cars with Dave for the mechanics !
Do what you feel is best for you but you have been advised !

Andy Who ?

just got my Zed back from Dave,Proper job just the boring bit of running it in and dave dont rip people off.you have been warned.Duncan is ok at the Zed farm,not much dealings with others but heard some horror stories about some,not all.

OK point taken - will ring Dave Jarman and talk it through.

I want a nice grunty engine, lots of torque as opposed to screaming.

I am really encouraged that the Z fraternity is still as active and dedicated as it always was, I haven't seen one in Shropshire for a very long time now.

Who has what engines in their cars and what experiences have you had ? I know what I want body and suspension wise but am keen to hear peoples' views on 2.9, 3.0, 3.1 etc and on the V8 conversions. The last piece of the decision is what will be going on underneath the bonnet.

Sean, it's Andy Farrant, last a member of the Z Club in about 1989

why not another type of engine swap, RB26 or 1JZ-GTE or even 2JZ-GTE, see the previous issue of banzai for my 1jz swap..

works pretty well I reckon :D

I have a 2.8 in my 260. Big improvement. Tuning on this engine is very conventional - carbs & exhaust done so far, cam & head to follow. Then nitrous for occasional grins.

Next Z (same bodyshell) at some time in the future will be blessed with a small block V8. Best 'bang per buck and minimal electronics' option I think.

TL

Funnily enough I downloaded an mpeg of your car on the airfield today 240z - you have the exact colour I have been thinking about :) Car sounds great and looks great too. Is the Banzai issue still on sale ? Coincidence or what, had someone show me pictures of their 300zx today and a copy of September's Banzai.
I get down to Bristol every few weeks, would love to see the car !! (Unashamed invite blagging - no apologies, it's a very smart car)

Tony, I have been advised by Fourways Engineering to have a 280 engine bored to 2.9 with all the toys on, thanks for the thumbs up.

Any other experiences on engines guys ? Have almost discounted the smallblock chevy option as throwing the balance of the car out the window - any one got one to share experiences ??

PS Pics approved today so are on page 11 of the members gallery

Andy

The banzai issue is September's with 'slammed' RX-7 on the front.

will send you a pm later re. meeting up. will def sort something out!

Andy, it would be interesting to compare what 4ways will charge you with what Dave would propose you ! Of course it's your decision not to shop around;
I like Status have heard and seen horror stories from some clients of car restorers/ engine builders - I've been in the club with my senses alert since 1989, we probably missed each other !
Good luck with your project !
Status, tell me everything - are you drooling ?

Small block would definitely affect balance, but I seem to remember hearing it's not too bad due to block actually being shorter and therefore sitting slightly further back in the car. Does anyone know what the actual weight penalty would be? I wonder if a newer small block might be better due to modern manufacturing methods and lighter materials.

Mr F. built an SBC Z. If you read this Mike, what do you think?

TL

Thanks for the pointers guys - Spoke to Dave Jarman at great length last night and think I need to do a major left turn to avoid wasting money - costs are the same but what you get for your money is totally different.

He has suggested I speak to Laurence in Nottingham to actually get the shell rebuilt as well. I will do that today. Anyone have any nottingham experiences ?

240z - have seen an mpeg of your car on an airfield - simply dribblesome, one of the colours I was thinking about for mine.

Tony, thanks for the thumbs up - I have now discounted the smallblock and will go for a bored out straight six,

Cheers

Andy

Back