JDM Z's

It depends on what version of 'standard' you're talking about. There's 'factory standard' and what you might call 'Japanese popular standard' (I.e. Arch flares, the same front non-ducted air dam, Watanabe R Types, etc.)! :D

Actually, I saw quite a few pretty standard looking cars there - just remember that they in Japan had a lot more models and Sports Option items to choose from at point of purchase, unlike most export markets, who had one basic car (with the option of the dealer banging some slot mags on and arranging for some mong to chop a hole in the roof for a Webasto jobbie).

It depends on what version of 'standard' you're talking about. There's 'factory standard' ....................... and arranging for some .... to chop a hole in the roof for a Webasto jobbie.

Yes 'factory standard' i.e. as it left the factory.

You have a way with words Rich :eek:

Most of the cars look superb which is why there are few 'factory standard' cars left of course.

Right, whats the current recommendation for wing mounted mirrors, JDM style.

Right, whats the current recommendation for wing mounted mirrors, JDM style.

How do you mean?

Obviously totally non-standard for a non-JDM car, but I love 'em. :D Of course, having a JDM car helps! In my opinion they work better than door mirrors, giving you virtually zero blind spot. They have to be positioned right though - they are installed in slightly different positions on either side of the car and if you have a LHD car you would need to reverse the measurements to ensure they work.

If you are going to do it, get the real thing. The black ones, not the chrome ones that are commonly sold as being for a Z but are in reality for 510s and certain C10 Skylines. They have shorter stalks, affecting their visibility relative to the taller black ones.

The downside - you will need to source them from Japan and they are very expensive. The black ones are no longer available new and thus you'll be looking for used or NOS ones. Expect to pay hundreds.

The alternative is the slightly cheaper chrome ones (often used on Zs in Japan despite not being technically correct as mentioned; still three figures) or the cheap ones often seen on eBay with the stalks that have several holes in them for styling. I don't know how they rate functionality-wise but they do look pretty cool IMO.

Yes 'factory standard' i.e. as it left the factory.

You have a way with words Rich :eek:

Most of the cars look superb which is why there are few 'factory standard' cars left of course.

I do like to oblige! :D

Actually, some of the nicest cars in that video are the very standard-looking 432s near the start. Wonderful. Although, using the word 'standard' for a 432 might not be doing them justice! :bow:

Yep, those are the ones. Gary/Atomman from this forum has them on his car I think and you'll see plenty of others around the web with them too (on Zs and other JDM-styled cars). Requires somewhat less financial commitment than the real ones!!!

The only thing that bothers me about them is they lack the spring-loaded base that the real ones have underneath the wing. Having caught my real ones a few times, I'm glad of the spring loading.

For positioning, do a search on this forum - I've posted the drawing (originally Alan Thomas's) with the positioning measurements on it a couple of times in the past. It's out there on the web too from when Alan has posted it elsewhere.

For positioning, do a search on this forum - I've posted the drawing (originally Alan Thomas's) with the positioning measurements on it a couple of times in the past. It's out there on the web too from when Alan has posted it elsewhere.

With the caveat that the measurements were shown to the edges of the mounts, not to the centres of the holes. This is often misunderstood, leading to whining that they are "not right". Kind of academic when 95% of them are not fitting the correct S30-series Z mirrors anyway...

The truth is that there were at least three changes in position for the 'fender mirror' mounts across the 1969 to 1978 production run. Conclusion: Mount them where you think they look right to you...

Also if you're fitting the 510 mirrors then remember to move them slightly outboard from Alan's diagram otherwise you won't see much other than your A pillars

Yeh, think I prefer to see about 10 at a show. They don't like standard cars do they?

Plenty of pretty much bone stock S30-series Zs in Japan, and in fact it's a growing trend to restore / refresh to close to stock, period modified or 'resto-mod' specs.

The majority of stockers don't tend to turn up en masse to events such as the one on the video, but there are a lot more than you might imagine out there. Here's a couple from our Club S30 stand at the JCCA New Year Meeting in Tokyo at the end of January. The green car is a 1970 Fairlady Z-L in lovely patinated original condition (he runs it without the precious OEM hubcaps as they are pretty much unobtainium) and the red car is a genuine HS30-H Fairlady 240ZG that was recently restored by Ando san at 'T.A. Auto':

Attachments

• R0016113.JPG
    R0016113.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
  • R0016116.JPG
    R0016116.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • R0016121.JPG
    R0016121.JPG
  • R0016117.JPG
    R0016117.JPG
They are both great looking cars, but that red 240ZG is just plain awesome !

should that back bumper be chrome ? or has it been painted to match the front G nose ?

Should that back bumper be chrome ? or has it been painted to match the front G nose ?

It's the correct colour and finish for a genuine Fairlady 240ZG. Rear bumper was painted to match front urethane bumper and lower nose panel. Finish is 'satin'. Note too the ZG-only rubber filler strip on the centre part of the rear bumper.

Fabulous. Love the green Z-L.

Gary - the ZG's rear bumpers should be grey as pictured. They also have, if you look, an extra rubber strip running all the way across the centre.

With the caveat that the measurements were shown to the edges of the mounts, not to the centres of the holes. This is often misunderstood, leading to whining that they are "not right". Kind of academic when 95% of them are not fitting the correct S30-series Z mirrors anyway...

The truth is that there were at least three changes in position for the 'fender mirror' mounts across the 1969 to 1978 production run. Conclusion: Mount them where you think they look right to you...

Caveat most welcome. :thumbs:

The measurements on that drawing at least give you an approximation if fitting non-standard mirrors of where they should be, which you can tweak as needed to get them functioning the way you want. As Morbias notes, the last thing you want is a clear view of your A-pillars...

Wow, three 2+2s next to each other at the start of the film, and another two further up the line

Ive never seen that many in one place ever!! :eek:

Back