How would you spend £100K on a Z?

A

Andytt

In view of James Taylors rumoured £140K spend even before it was running, how would you guys spend 100K 'modifying' a Z

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Ok, I guess for that money one would be modifying one :) Not sure I can spend that much on a Z !

I'd like...........a convertible with one of your fabulous **** off V8 engines !

Or a nifty GTS class circuit Z and run at Le Mans Classic ! Out of the two, this would be my choice - sell it on afterwards too !

A

Andytt

Very hypothetical Status, but what if you had to..............besides I bet you have spent nearly that on ya 260 over the years, lolololol

A

Andytt

I bet it would cost more than that to build a proper GTS class Z

Russ

Club Member
Who's James Taylor and has anyone got a link?

My £100k would go on £50k of garage and workshop stuff/tools etc, spray booth, whatever I wanted with an awesome teas-maid that new when I needed a cuppa.

The other £50k would by me a base Z, some parts, and a lot of books and classes so I could spend the next ten years in my ultimate garage doing it all myself.

A

Andytt

James Taylor of Duran Duran fame, spent well over £200,000 with Fourways on three Z's in the late 80's, (open cheque book) the red one cost £45K or so, the green one cost 68K and the race car with hand beaten aluminium panels with flared arches supposedly cost 140K before it was even running, there are pictures of these cars all over the place locating them is not impossible, let me see what I can find.

Funny you should say that about 100K, the guy who built my 660Z did almost that he spent in excess of 10000 hours developing the car, he started at age 27 and did not finish till he was 36, problem is he is now completely turned off cars, I think it took too much out of him, he had no social life for over 8 years, he travelled all over the USA looking at modified cars, before he decided on a Z, he then travelled all over the USA looking at modified Z's, everybody on Hybrid Z's knows him, a search of his name revealed thousands of references to his work, his dad couldn't believe it when he found a fiancee so he bought the car off him when he wanted to pay for an engagement ring. (What a waste some would say, she wanted a big rock)

Anyway I just thought I'd let you know how you could end up Russ..................smile

Last edited by a moderator:

abas

Well-Known Forum User
how on earth did JT spend 140k on a z?

I suppose getting some one else to do it all for you at £50 per hour can soon take £30k out of that. As for the rest well I don't know.....

I'd have to go with status on this. I probably wouldn''t spend £100k on a z. I might go to £20-£30k, and save the rest to pay for the fuel at £10 per gallon in a few years time.:rolleyes:

Andrew

abas

Well-Known Forum User
Apparently JT also tried to buy both the 2 RHD J reg cars with the early chassis numbers. Supposedly offered silly money but was turned down by both owners.

A

Andytt

The question was 100K I am sure none of us would spend that kind of money, but it is good to dream every now and again, I guess I am asking what everybody's ideal Z will be, if one had to spend 100K on one, we know it could easily be done in 1989 or so, money no object

abas

Well-Known Forum User
how about making one into a ferrari daytona replica with 'proper' ferrari V12. Now that could interest me. Probably more than 100k though

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
How about just buying a Ferrari and putting a Z badge on the bonnet ;) Oooo that would please the boys in Maranello :D

Cheers,
Rob

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
all three of jt's cars are kept in a very safe location , allarmed to the hilt, and under serious lock and key. all cars are in perfect working order and kept in a controlled atmosphere and are maintained by fourways. lets just say they are all superb examples. As for how much....dunno exactly to the penny but jt got exactly what he asked for!!!!!!!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
The green one was my favourite although the red one had the cross-flow head !

No, I still reckon on a nice GTS racer, maybe 100k wouldn't pay for all of it (would come close) but I'd generously put up the rest !

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
I think I would be hard pressed to spend 100K on a Z31!....Probably 10-15K would make a very nice car!
Now if it was a Z32, then 100K could be swallowed up quite easily!You hear of people spending 30-40K on their TT's with little to obviously show for it at the end!
Cheerz,
JEZ

Russ

Club Member
Ok then, I'd go for a race car on the road.

I'd find the most rotten and dead 240z, and use its soul (vin plates) and go for a car with modified chassis, probably junk some of it and go tubular, carbon fibre bodywork, magnesium wheels, maybe get a cross flow head cast for me but at 3.5ltrs or just get a SBC, not sure. In fact maybe a bored and tuned Q45 v8 to keep the Nissan soul.

Then all lightweight everything (cf seats, cf dashboard etc), leave it so it looks like a 240 but weighs just about nothing, but try to keep the character. Race fuel tank, massive brakes, probably double wishbone suspension all round (is that the best bet?).

Obviously it wouldn't be much of a 240z anymore, but it'd look just like one and do wonders for promoting them.

That'd cost me £90k hopefully, and the remain £10k I'd spend on advance driving lessons, tyres, fuel and trackdays.

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Wait for the final magazine article on The Ultimate Rally Car (Autumn). There you have a Z car costing £100k+...........and it still has its L series.

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
That's easy :)

US shell £3,800
Acid dip £ 900
Strengthening £1400
Cage £1000
F1 drive shafts / flanges £2400
NISMO LSD £925
Engine / Box £8000
Ohlins cannister susp £4000
AP six pot brakes £3500
Custom exhausts £2500
Custom tank £500
New tailgate £600
Retrim in leather £3500
New loom £1000
Brand new rear bumper secret
Brand new front bumper secret
New Euro rear lights
New front US indicators

and so on and so on and so on

locks, ignition lock, new interior mirror,

I reckon I will run away with 60K if I am not careful.