3.0L L6 Refresh/Rebuild

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Steve Kiddell's All steel 3.0l L6 engine has done a lot of had work over recent years. We have started on a refresh/rebuild to restore it to full power(and a little more). The changes are only slight but we expect it to come in just over 300hp at the fly this time as opposed to the 296 it made before.
As we are no longer involved with building engines for anyone else we can focus 100% on this one.
A joint effort soon had the engine out of the shell and on to a stand.
I have stripped it all down to its individual componets.
As expected the pistons are scuffed and have polished the bore on the thrust side. Nothing major and this is just what happens when you use lightweight short skirt racing type pistons.
Steve has already asked JE to make a new set and added the anti friction coating this time.
The new pistons will be 88.25mm as opposed to 88mm before. That means we can have a +10thou rebore and hone without significally thinning the bore walls. 5 thou is very small.
Our ultrasonic readings show a healthy 5mm thickness .
The new pistons will also have fly cuts to allow for a more agressive cam timing this time.
Meantime I have cleaned everything, repainted the block and bagged and tagged everything else.
We are fortunate to have a torque plate for boring and honing, so I have already re installed the main bearing caps and torqued them up.
All the crank bearings are being replaced but before ordering I will get the crank professionally measured and some remedial work done on it if deemed neccessary.
We are already about 20 hours spent and many many more still to go.
Thankfully all the really tedious block relieving and smoothing was done last time.
Here are a few pics to show where we are for now.DSCF7185.JPG DSCF7185.JPG DSCF7186.JPG DSCF7187.JPG DSCF7190.JPG DSCF7191.JPG DSCF7189.JPG

[ATTACH=full said:
index.php

I see the problem, its been running on 5 pistons.

richiep

Club Member
Nice! I’m going to be in the area next Saturday picking up a 71C gearbox from someone, and need to pick up my pile of bits from you Pete - hopefully I can get a peek at progress and discuss some particulars about my engine build, which I will begin this winter...

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Interested to know what seems to be the dizzy drive, is so short?
It only drives the oil pump. not the dizzy.
Nice! I’m going to be in the area next Saturday picking up a 71C gearbox from someone, and need to pick up my pile of bits from you Pete - hopefully I can get a peek at progress and discuss some particulars about my engine build, which I will begin this winter...
Cool.
dont forget to bring your wallet!!!!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Really looking forward to reading your progress on this thread Pete - thanks for posting!

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Really looking forward to reading your progress on this thread Pete - thanks for posting!
Progress will be slowed down by the wait for pistons. I dont expect them this month and im off to Spain again at the end of the month. Probably mid october for the next update .

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Pete - thanks for sharing.

Is that a BHJ crank damper ?

Have you considered the pros and cons of a dry-sump ?

Cheers.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Its the head I'd like to see :)
The head is/was already fitted. Im usually a couple of days behind with any progress report.
Im sure I posted pics of it when Steve first got it back from Ric Wood.??
That was many moons ago....
DSCF7258.JPG