240z on ebay?

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
What happened to this thread then?

Well... I've just been to see it... what can I say...

Good points
It has an insane engine in it... Seriously, this thing is a freeeking beast... we did 0-60 in about 5 seconds and its not setup or tuned properly.

Sounds awesome but is running rich.

Running Tripple Webbers with everything upgraded. G-nose kit with flared arches.

Seems solid enough, but probably isn't as most of these cars aren't and its been stored outside for at least 6 months, which no doubt means the rust monsters are hiding somewhere!

Bad points
It was raining when I visited, I lifted the drivers footwell carpet and water was pouring into it, it was already rusted (as was the passengers side, passengers side has much more rust, seemed only to be surface, but worried me enough to spend 5 minutes poking it).

Its obviously been this way for a while as the dials were all steamed up (condensation on the inside of the speedo etc).

Its been repaired a few times and has been banged to hell on the outside, key marks, scratches, paint cracking all over needs a new paint job.

Solid and sealed under the car except for under the drivers wheel arch... looks like its been driven over a rock and has started to rust a but (I didn't have an inspection lamp so couldn't see how bad the damage was, but it needs serious thought/checking over).

Rear aerial has been moved for some reason and patched with filler... seems a bit weird.

In the engine bay, passenger side wing side, is rusting badly along the seam, its right through in a couple of places and the other side has had a similar rusted area repaired, it looks very amateurish and chunky welding.

Has two 50p sized (old sized 50ps!) rust patches on drivers side pillar, which looks light, but needs investigating and a similar patch on the passengers side.

The little skirt running next to the exhaust has been caught on something and has been bent out of place.

All in all it seemed quite a solid car.

Things that worried me, it has a partial roll cage, basically a roll bar over the drivers head (connecting where you'd normally have a strut brace) which he explained as being put in by an advertising company(?!), the back story he gave seemed a little fishy, that and he's "lost" the V5 along with all documentation :conf2: but will try to find it...

I'd probably buy it if I had time to fix the paint work and check out all the dodgy rusting areas, but that engine is just too much, its not usable as a daily drive... more a racing/rally car, which I'm sure this has been in the past.

Could go cheap though!

VERTEMATIDOG

Well-Known Forum User
I take it you are not the high bidder then?I asked about the previous thread but it has been removed due to silly comments! Thanks for the report.

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Went cheap but sounds exactly like what you are being advised NOT to buy - a bunch of holes held together with rust.

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah its still up... the rust wasn't too bad, but I couldn't check it out properly without jacking it up and it needs alot of tlc.

It was formally a strange green colour and had a very old zclub sticker in the window, so someone here must know of it!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
0-60 in 5 seconds in the rain ?

It really sounds like it's being sold on the engine and the racy body style !

Ditto ZHead !!!

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
.. the rust wasn't too bad, but I couldn't check it out properly without jacking it up and it needs alot of tlc.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :conf2: :conf2: :conf2:

Do you have any idea at all what you are actually looking at or looking for??
It doesnt appear to me from the above sentence that you do.

Russ

Club Member
My top tip is look in the rear compartments behind the seats (whatever their proper name is) and see if you can see daylight :) That's the only place I missed looking really.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Essentiel really because it's there that the chassis rails end and as the central part of the car (transmission tunnel included) it kinda hold the car together.

At least you're getting out to look at these cars Mark, as the UK isn't a huge country, it's got to be easier than over here where the cars are even rarer (in any condition) !

DJZ 60

Well-Known Forum User
The Footwell's & inner wing's is enough to put me off! If the footwell's are
letting in a waterfall than it sounds like the bulkhead might be gone as well. This combined with inner wing's ,which I'm certain are not available
means 'Patchwork repair's.( nothing really wrong with that,If panel's not available that's the only option.
I would have thought the transmission tunnel is quite
solid & they normally are lasting.
Front & rear inner & outer arch's need a good checking as under
the exterior paint & interior seal lurks area'a of 'air conditioning'.
I cannot judge a vehicle,though without seeing it.
DJZ 60.:cool: