1985 z31 2+2 targa turbo project

markz312+2turbo

Well-Known Forum User
HI, I THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE MY PROJECT WITH OTHER Z31 LOVERS

BASICLY THIS PERTICULAR Z31 HAS ALOT OF SENTIMENTAL VALUE TO ME,I WAS 15 AND I WAS IN FOSTER CARE FOR 2 YEARS (1998-2000 ) AT A PERTICULAR HOUSEHOLD AND IN HIS GARAGE HE HAD A DATSUN Z31. IT WAS NOT IN USE AT THE TIME, HE SAID IT HAD BEEN PUT INTO HIBERNATION FOR THE LAST YEAR.. I LOVED IT FROM THE VERY FIRST SECOND I SAW IT. MY INITIAL THOUGHT WAS, WOW! I FREEKING LOVE THIS CAR!! . ON THAT DAY WE TOOK HER OUT THE GARAGE AND I CLEANED HER UP, POLISHED HER AND FOR MY REWARD HE TOOK ME UP HIS MILE LONG DRIVE, AND IT WAS WELL WORTH ALL THE EFFORT :) I LOVED THE SOUND OF THAT OLD V6 FIRING UP AND PURRING LIKE A FAT CAT.LOL

AFTER THAT DAY I TOOK HER OUT THE GARAGE EVERY MONTH, CLEANED HER UP, POLISHED IT,CHECKED THE OIL, PLUGS AND HAD A GOOD LOOK AROUND HER, JUST TO LISTEN TO THE ENGINE AND FOR THE RIDE :D

I LEFT THAT FOSTER HOME IN 2000 AND THOUGHT I WOULD NEVER RIDE IN HER AGAIN..............HOW WRONG WAS I!!!!

IN FEBUARY THIS YEAR I WENT TO PAY MY OLD FOSTER PARENT A VIST AND SOON STARTED ASKING ABOUT THE Z31, TO MY COMPLETE AND UTTER AMAZMENT, HE STILL HAD HER :) WE WENT TO THE GARAGE AND I WAS SHOCKED, AND I MEAN SHOCKED :(

SHE HAD BEEN SAT FOR NEARLY 10 YEARS, NEVER BEING TAKEN OUT, NEVER CLEANED, NEVER CHECKED OVER :eek: I MEAN THE CAR WAS A BLOODY MESS AND I WASENT IMPRESSED. I SPENT MY TEEN YEARS THINKING AND WISHING I HAD THAT CAR.

I SAID NOTHING EXECPT HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT FOR HER? HIS REPLY WAS, '' I HADENT THOUGHT ABOUT IT '' SO I SAID START THINKING.LOL WE CAME TO A PRICE, WHICH MIGHT SOUND ALOT TO YOU ALL BUT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER ITS VALUE TO ME.........WE AGREED ON £500. NOW I THINK THATS FAIR, SEEMING AS IT IS A Z31, 2+2 TARGRA TURBO :thumbs: THE INSIDE IS LIKE BRAND NEW, SMELLS FUNKY BUT IN REALLY GOOD CONDITION :). NOW, THE EXTERIOR...............

WHAT CAN I SAY EXCEPT HOLY SH*T !! THERE WAS IVY GROWING ON THE PASSENGER WING AND ACROSS THE BONNET, A FAIR FEW MM OF DUST ALL OVER, RUST ALL OVER THE PLACE, AND AT SOME POINT, A FAMILY OF SQUIRELLS HAD BEEN LIVING IN THE ENGINE BAY, STASHED NUTS EVERYWHERE.LOL, THERE WERE NUT CASINGS ALL OVER THE ENGINE BAY, IN THE AIR FILTER BOX, UNDER THE INLET MANIFOLD, IT TOOK 6 HOURS TO GET THEM ALL OUT FROM THE SPARK PLUGS.LMAO. THEY HAD MUNCHED THRU THE HT LEADS, BATTERY CELL LIDS, VARIOUS WIRES ( LITTLE BAST***S LOL, I CHECKED HER ALL OVER, FLUIDS SEEMED OK, FUEL WAS STALE, OIL WAS CHANGED PRIOR TO HIBERNATION. I CHANGED THE FUEL AND PRIMED HER UP. I CHECKED THE TIMING BELT, AUXILLIRY BELTS AND THEY WERE OK, ALTHOUGH DUE TO THE LENGHT OF TIME BEING STOOD, I WOULDNT HAVE TRUSTED THEM UNDER LOAD IE;BEING DRIVEN.ALL SYSTEMS CHECKED AS IT WERE, AND ON WENT THE JUMP LEADS.

SHE TOOK A BIT OF STARTING DUE TO ME KINDA FLOODING HER A BIT. I DISSCONNECTED THE COIL LEAD SO IT WOULDNT START AT FIRST. I WANTED TO TURN HER OVER TO MAKE SURE NOTHING INTERNAL WAS WRONG, AND TO GET SOME OIL UP AROUND THE ENGINE. WHEN SHE DID START, SHE SEEMED OK, THE EXHAUST HAD BASICLY ROTTED WAY SO IT WAS LOUD :D

I LEFT IT RUNNING FOR 30 MINS AND ALL SEEMED OK. IT WAS MISSING A LITTLE, AND THERE WAS NO SMOKE. I GAVE HER A REV AND THE TURBO SPOOLED UP NICLEY :),BUT I DIDNT GO MAD WITH THE REVS :thumbs:.

OUT CAME THE HOSE PIPE, THE CAR SHAMPOO AND A FLOOD OF MEMORIES :D SHE CAME UP AMAZINGLY WELL. SOME PAINT WORK CRACKED OFF WHISLT THE CLEAN UP BUT SHE WAS LOOKING 110% BETTER. ON THAT DAY I ARRANGED FOR A LOW LOADER TO PICK HER UP AND TAKE IT TO MY PLACE.

SO THERE YOU HAVE IT, THE STORY OF HOW I GOT MY FIRST Z31.

THE ONLY DISSAPOINTING THING IS I DIDNT TAKE PICS OF HER WHEN SHE CAME OUT OF THE GARAGE AFTER STANDING 10 YEARS :eek: BUT HEY, I WAS EXCITED :D

NOW I AIM TO HAVE MY PROJECT HERE ON THIS THREAD.I JUST HAVE TO WORK OUT HOW TO UPLOAD MY PICS HERE :unsure: IM SURE I WILL FIGURE IT OUT. SO YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO CHECK BACK AND SEE THE PROGRESS:thumbs:

CAN I JUST SAY I WELCOME ALL COMMENTS, ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT BUT FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO LIKE ROASTING OTHER FELLOW OWNERS, PLEASE BEAR IN MIND IM NOT A QUALIFIED MACHANIC, PANEL BEATER, SPRAYER ETC. IM SELF TAUGHT AND I GET BY :D BUT ID STILL LIKE TO HEAR YOUR OPINIONS !

THANKS FOR READING AND TAKING AN INTEREST

:cheers:

JakTheRuby

Club Member
Sweet! Welcome to the club and as soon as you work out how to upload pictures, show her off. It's great that you have a history with the car, because you'll understand the importance of keeping her going. Rust will be a big issue but there are parts around if you look (there seems to be a few on here at the moment including a FREE donor car!). Keep us up to speed and get those pics up as soon as you can (I use photobucket as it's free and simple to use).

markz312+2turbo

Well-Known Forum User
ahh....photo bucket, i will get on the case :thumbs:

im glad there are people on this forum that loves the z cars as much as me, my freinds and family ( apart from my brother ) have done nothing but say scrap it!! :( no way!!
they will eat there words once the work has been done and she's had a nice new lick of paint :) im thinking about 2 things.............keeping her standard or going all out jap crazy drift style. what are your thoughts? as for resale value, im not going to sell it.....EVER!! lol

:bow: to the z31 :bow:

markz312+2turbo

Well-Known Forum User
OK SO HERE ARE THE PICS OF THE Z31 THE I GOT HER, SHE WAS ALLREADY CLEANED AS STATED ABOVE, SHEME REALLY AS IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO HAVE PICS OF HER COMING OUT THE GARAGE IN THE CONDITION SHE WAS IN.
2647_1153546798148_1212017322_30432.jpg

2647_1153546838149_1212017322_30432.jpg

2647_1153546878150_1212017322_30432.jpg

2647_1153546918151_1212017322_30432.jpg

markz312+2turbo

Well-Known Forum User
AND SO THE PROJECT BEGINS, KINDA..........

I DIDNT DO MUCH TO IT FOR THE NEXT FEW MONTHS, I DID SOME RESEARCH AND PLANNED THE JOBS AHEAD IN ADVANCE SO I DIDNT GET CONFUSED IN WHICH JOB I WAS DOING AND HOW TO BEST TACKLE IT. ANYWAY, I MOVED HOUSE, AND WORK BEGAN ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO :) HERE ARE SOME PICS THAT ARE OF THE CAR WHEN I WAS HOLE FINDING, RUST SPOTTING AND SEEING THE TRUE CONDITION OF HER. I WAS SHOCKED AT THE CONDITION TO BE FRANK BUT THEN AGAIN, SHE IS 20+ YEARS OLD.

Image019.jpg

Image021.jpg

Image022.jpg

Image023.jpg

Image027.jpg

Image029.jpg

Image036.jpg

Image085.jpg

Image087.jpg

Image086.jpg

Image088.jpg

Image089.jpg

Image090.jpg

Image091.jpg

Image092.jpg

JakTheRuby

Club Member
Looks like there is plenty of good metal still, so I wouldn't worry too much. It's a UK car and there are people on here who're restoring cars that look like Swiss cheese in comparison to what you have there. Just be methodical and get replacements where possible. It'll be worth it in the end.

ollyc

Well-Known Forum User
Lovely looking car matey and I tell you what the £500 was not too high as she is in very good nik, as Jak said a lot are made of Swiss cheese yours does look very solid as she's been kept dry. In my humble I'd opt for keeping her pretty stock but play with the engine and make her a bit sharp in that area as the general looks of them are the key points. Failing that go all out jap drift racer and make her funky! what ever you decide good on you for keeping her going and don't listen to any of the doubters. ENJOY

markz312+2turbo

Well-Known Forum User
Looks like there is plenty of good metal still, so I wouldn't worry too much. It's a UK car and there are people on here who're restoring cars that look like Swiss cheese in comparison to what you have there. Just be methodical and get replacements where possible. It'll be worth it in the end.

im glad you said there are projects that look like swiss cheese.lol, the fact that she was dry stored limited the amount of rust, which was good. i guess i was lucky he ( kinda ) cared about it enough to dry store her :)

markz312+2turbo

Well-Known Forum User
Lovely looking car matey and I tell you what the £500 was not too high as she is in very good nik, as Jak said a lot are made of Swiss cheese yours does look very solid as she's been kept dry. In my humble I'd opt for keeping her pretty stock but play with the engine and make her a bit sharp in that area as the general looks of them are the key points. Failing that go all out jap drift racer and make her funky! what ever you decide good on you for keeping her going and don't listen to any of the doubters. ENJOY

to be honest i would have paid alot more for her.i think il probably keep her stock, maybe a subtle bodykit, but id like to keep to the similar lines of the original car. engine wise im thinking t3/4 hybrid, standalone ecu, 550 cc injectors, i have an intercooler to fit, 3 inch exhauast with minimal bends to high flow back box. that should be good for 280bhp?

markz312+2turbo

Well-Known Forum User
ok so here are some upto date pics, first one is of that drivers rear arch. not completly finnished but looking pretty good :) by the time the rust was cut out and someones attempt in the past to fill the arch and lower panel i had to rebuild alot of it. i think it turned out well :)

driversreararch2.jpg

driversreararch.jpg

this one is of the inner wing on the drivers rear arch
driversinnerreararchnoholes.jpg

drivers wing
driversfrontwing.jpg

passenger wing
passengerfrontwing.jpg

this is a pic of the passenger side raer arch. as you can see not much done here, started to weld in some plates tho :)
passengerreararch.jpg

JakTheRuby

Club Member
Been busy with the wet n dry there too! Good stuff. Stock, this is a fab looking car so a plain restore with minor engine mods is a great idea. Keep the pics coming!

markz312+2turbo

Well-Known Forum User
ive gone through a LOT of wet and dry i can tell you.lol im going to concerntrate on the passenger rear arch for now. the only thing thats bothering me is where the rear subframe bolts up to the chasis, right by the rear drivers side sill, there is a hole, 1 inch long and 1cm wide. now i plan to put in some nice thick plate but i think lining it back up in the original spot will be tricky?

ollyc

Well-Known Forum User
Hmm may be a pain but hey you seem to be powering on well any plans on getting her road worthy date etc or as and when ready?

markz312+2turbo

Well-Known Forum User
i was aiming to get her mot'd by the end of november but as it stands i dont think i will have her ready in time. ive been doing some engine work in between doing the body work and came across some problems.

basicly when i got her she was running a little lumpy, missing every now and then.i was puzzled for a bit. it seemed to take a few cranks before firing up, she would run ok once started but then seemed to be missing a bit....( wether the engine was hot or cold ) i have no adjustable screw etc on my maf so im not sure if i can do the self diag? i checked all the plugs and they are fine, i took the inlet plenum off and the fuel rail, injectors etc. 2 injectors were kinda blocked a bit on the end of the spray nossle....i guess it was stale fuel that had leaked abit over the years.. i cleaned them up, hooked them all up and bolted her back together, replacing the rubber hose connecting the fuel rail etc.

i also checked the rotor arm and dizzy cap. the cap is fine with minor wear, the rotor arm on the other hand was abit worse for wear. the tip that contacts the nipples in the dizzy was raised by atleast 3mm. the plastic securing lug had broken off at some point!! as i cant source a rotoe arm at the mo i went for a quick fix for now, i found a tiny scrw, slightly drilled the metal plate on top of the r/arm so it was bevled, popped the screw in and its nice and tight, and flush :D

another thing i checked were all the boost piepes, connectors etc, they were brittle and looked like crap so i replaced them.

i took the fuel tank off and drained it to reveal alot of grit and the usual crap. ive cleaned it out and its ready to be put back on :thumbs:

the other important thing left is the exhaust, it was all rotten. so im going to attempt to build my own 3 inch custom exhaust with a nice jap box at the end :D depending on how loud it will be will determin wether or not i put a middle silencer on :lol:

markz312+2turbo

Well-Known Forum User
sounds very nice :thumbs:, although im looking for a deeper tone, not loud but deep, i want to shatter windows at low revs :D, how much did the skyline box set you back? and would there be a possibility you could do a little vid for me? be nice to hear her at say 2.5k? :thumbs::thumbs:

Quagmire

Well-Known Forum User
Bought the 5Zigen for £50 of a guy on Driftworks, It's brand new too.

I'll sort a vid out for you tomorrow :)