Z's first outing of the year - rattle-y gearstick...

richiep

Club Member
With the weather being nice, I couldn't resist and a late-lunchtime today turned into the first hoon of 2012 in the Zed. As usual, she didn't miss a beat after having sat for 3.5 months. :bow: The only hassles I had were 1) something burning in the engine bay and billowing smoke when I first got her running :eek: (I'm pretty positive it was WD40 that had dripped on the manifold and was cooking off!) and 2) when returning home, the gearstick suddenly developed a quite irritating metallic clicking vibration. It also seems to have much more lateral play than normal when in gear. Holding the stick stops the vibration and noise. Other than that, it seems well attached - I don't think the pin is coming out thankfully!

Any ideas?

I'm guessing (I haven't had a chance to look yet but will have an explore tomorrow) that there might be an issue with the plastic bushing that fits on the end of the gearstick where it enters the gearbox. Maybe its done a disappearing act? Does that sound sensible?

(Of course, the whole trip reminded me how spoilt I am with the gearbox in my Integra - and why I might have to speak to Pmac about an S14 box before the year is out!).

I had a similar drama on mine and after the bushing was replaced all was good! Apparently the pin was already half way out and how it hadn't fallen I don't know! lol

Suspicion confirmed - the bushings that sit between the pin and the gear stick have disintegrated. One's missing, the other is only half there! Obviously gave up the ghost during the drive yesterday. Mr. F will be getting a call on Monday am!

Back