wots this bit of my SU do?!

qunvat

Well-Known Forum User
RE: this earlier thread... http://www.zclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5540

...I've noticed that this bit (is this the jet?) of the FRONT carb (the one thats not working proper) ...is permenantly in its 'down' positon, but will spring up when pushed....springing down again after (piston spring?)

...the carb that seems FINE, the opposite happens, its permenanlty UP but will pull down and spring SLOWLY back up .

Am taking car back Wed morn but would like to speed things up a bit (a LOT) concerning this particular prob!!

Ta, Si

Attachments

• that bit of the carb.JPG
    that bit of the carb.JPG
    370 KB · Views: 63
Last edited by a moderator:
yes it's the jet, when fully down it's in the cold start position, i.e full rich. both jets should be up towards float chamber except when choke is being used!!

The knurled knob adjusts the position of the jet (aka nozzle). In your pic this one appears to be screwed fully home, i.e. full weak position. A good starting point for tuning would be to unscrew the knurled knob by 1.5 - 2 turns down on each carb. Then check the air flow balance between the two carbs and when even fine tune the mixture with small turns of the knurled knob...
The nozzle is designed to slide in the housing and is pulled down when the choke is set for cold starting. On worn carbs it is not unusual for the nozzle to stick out even when the choke is returned. A sticky nozzle will confuse anyone trying to tune the carbs when warm as they will be desperately trying to lean out a choke enhanced rich condition!

Simple rule - nozzle down = rich; nozzle up = lean.

Latest........

Right,the carb thats foiling the plugs (FRONT) seems to function correctly in this department...however the rear carbs' nozzle seems to not drop enough whilst on choke and also has no 'spring' in it.

I'm having to drive with permenant semi choke ...so: Am i over grossly richening (by over choking) the front carb (which may working fine) causing the plugs to foul up......and in turn the rear carb is running far too lean?

Am i making sense for once!?

Si

Back