Windscreen fixing

Throttleton

Well-Known Forum User
I was messing on with the car today and was pondering about when I put the screen back in.
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the material they use nowadays to bond screens in??
I'm not keen on the old screen rubber method and fancy the idea of bonding it in with a a little trim of some sort to surround the joint.
I've got stuff to bond anything but won't be able to remove it should I need to without the screen breaking.

Wouldn't chassis flex cause the screen to shatter? The modern method of sticking in windscreens might be a bad idea on older unibody cars, then again it might work!

I was messing on with the car today and was pondering about when I put the screen back in.
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the material they use nowadays to bond screens in??
I'm not keen on the old screen rubber method and fancy the idea of bonding it in with a a little trim of some sort to surround the joint.
I've got stuff to bond anything but won't be able to remove it should I need to without the screen breaking.

Depends if you have made the opening in the shell the same as a steel one or have you made it smaller????? If its the original "steel shell" size then you wont be able to bond it in. You will need a rubber.

Bonded windscreens are fitted with "Windscreen bonding mastic " in a cartridge .

check it out on Ebay or your local windscreen company.
I have used it

Windscreen bonding | eBay

Thanks guys.
The 'opening' is the same but I can extend the flange bit easy enough.
I assume you mean the glass will almost want to fall through the hole Pete??

Morbias educate me please...
I thought the new way of bonding screens in was to do with speed, asthetics, ease of replacement etc.
Do you think (or know) that the rubbers were used to counteract the screen frame movement on older cars???? ie, to stop them breaking.

Thanks guys.
The 'opening' is the same but I can extend the flange bit easy enough.
I assume you mean the glass will almost want to fall through the hole Pete??

I thought the new way of bonding screens in was to do with speed, asthetics, ease of replacement etc.
Do you think (or know) that the rubbers were used to counteract the screen frame movement on older cars???? ie, to stop them breaking.

And you assume correctly.:thumbs: Not almost.fall ....... it will:eek:

Craig for what its worth on the f.....d mondeos if you remove the front subframe it is highly likley that the windscreen will crack although the autoglass adverts seem to incline us to believe that a broken screen will make the car unsafe :unsure: so that implies that the screen is part of the construction, i guess u need to weigh up how much twist/movement in your car supose you will have to try and see after all a new screens only....... ;) well you know how much

Tel

I'm just completely guessing :)

the way I see it, the glass is basically suspended in the middle of a hole by the rubber, so logically thinking the rubber would absorb any movement in the frame. If the glass is bonded straight to the frame then any significant twist I assume would break the glass?

I'm just completely guessing

Sounds a decent guess tho' Morbias.
Having slept on the idea Tel, I think I'll bottle out of the idea for now. Sounds like It could cause me grief for not much benefit:unsure:

Sounds a decent guess tho' Morbias.
Having slept on the idea Tel, I think I'll bottle out of the idea for now. Sounds like It could cause me grief for not much benefit:unsure:

Agreed!
No point in reinventing the wheel
240Z windscreens have been successfully held in with a rubber seal for 40 years.
Fitting and removal is a pretty simple job.
While I concede that fitting a bonded screen is not difficult either removing them is another matter.

Back