what does a dodgy water pump sound like?

abas

Well-Known Forum User
My car has developed a strange noise from around the front of the car. I can only describe as a bit like what your lawnmower does when the grass chute blocks, a kind of choking sound. The engine itself seems to be runiing well so I wondered if it could be the water pump but I have no idea what that would sound like ( the car does have what I believe to be the original 35 year old water pump on it. Any ideas?

cheers

Andrew

Hard to describe what they sound like when faulty but you could try disconnecting the fan belt. With the belt off spin the pulley and check for play or strange scruchy woshy noises. If the noise is still there with the belt removed its not the pump, but if it is still there with the belt on it could also be alternator at fault!

If the pump bearing is worn you usually get a water leak. Look for a rust line underneath. If the pump's been on 35 years (which I doubt) the impeller inside the front cover could have broken up which may make the sounds you describe.

Yes I would disconnect the Fan belt check both pulleys turn free, that's water pump and alternator if they both feel ok, then start the engine to see if the noise has gone, don't run it for too long as you will have no pump moving the water round.

Back