what carb options do I have?

abas

Well-Known Forum User
well hello everyone after a very long break ( couple of years I think)

I am trying to get my US import z running and obtaining parts for the original hitachi carbs was/is a problem a couple of years ago (specifically float needles). If these are definitely no longer available can anyone point me in the direction of alternatives?. I have heard about su hs6 replacement carbs but how would I know which ones to get, and are they a straight bolt on? or do they need a change of linkage or anything.

Any help gratefully received.

PS I seem to have upset ztherapy in the US somehow as they don't reply to my emails, as I sent them a money order for some float needles which never arrived (the money order that is)

cheers

Abas

I've just fitted a pair of HIF 6 SUs on my 260z. I ported the barrels to improve the air flow through the carbs and modified them (as David Vizard - mini tuner) they should flow like webers. I bought them already fitted to a manifold but the linkage is straight forward. It needs a rolling road session to select the correct needles - it runs a bit rich. It's a tidy and in expensive sollution and the car runs very well on it.

I fitted them to replace the stock Hitachis which were very difficult to set up.

I purchased a couple of repair kits for the Hitachi carbs on my 1970 240z from Motor Sport Auto in the US. That was two years ago, but as far as I know they are still available. The kits contained new float chamber needles and seats, various gaskets and washers and the tube that links the float chamber to the main body of the carb.
They weren't part of the repair kits , but I also bought new nozzles.

Prices weren't too bad - would be even better now with a strong £.

Tim

Back