Welded diff!!!

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
I have a R200 3.7 ratio diff that I have started to weld solid just for fun and also to see if it get me away faster at the drag strip, now I have more grip better tyres this should help does anyone think it will be worth fitting and seeing if I can get my 0-60ft times down, or should I stick with the open diff for now it's just that £600 + for a LSD at the moment is going to strain my relationship with the better half and the other reason is I don't have any spare cash.. I know it'll be a bit iffy on the bends but I do like to drive sideways..

any comments!:eek:

Russ

Club Member
You don't do lots of miles in it? I imagine it'd scrub your rear tyres out pretty fast?

I have no experience, but if no one comes back with a good reason not to then I'd say "try it" :D

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Without doubt your 60fts will drop.....significantly as you will have double the surface area of tyre driving you forward so you will be able to apply considerably more power before grip breaks loose (hope you have a good clutch, drive train, etc:thumbs:)
Depending on tyres, expect to see anywhere between 2.0 seconds down to around 1.8....doesnt sound much you say, but a 10th of a second saving on the 60ft equates to 2-3 tenths at the other end and realistically you need to be in or around the 1.8's if you are going to get into the 12's

Running a 1.8 is staggeringly quick and for the uninitiated can take you a little by surprise the 1st time you do it (over 1 G's of force developed) so imagine what running a sub 1 second will do:eek:.....weak necked Clarkson types need not apply.

And yes, it will be a little iffy, no hang on A LOT IFFY in the corners, I used to use a welded diff on my RS2000 years ago and it was er "concerning" scrubbing tyres like no bodies business

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
Right then that does it, I'll finish off the welding and wack it in there, i can always change it back after I see the results.

Martin W

Well-Known Forum User
I have quite a bit of experience in the welded diff area as i used to use them all the time for my stock car racing there is a way to weld them up and a way to blow them up you will require the first way :D if you weld it the wrong way it WILL break i garantee it:(. i would deff not use it on the road you will have no tyres in no time or broken parts on the car. i have welded a few Z diffs up as i used to race Zs.

martin

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for your comments Martin, can you pm me with any advice on the subject, pics would be good I have done alot of reasearch on welding diffs with some good advice from the drift 200sx peeps with good pics to show where needs to be welded and how well.
Nick.

Martin W

Well-Known Forum User
yes there the ppl to speak with. dont think i ever took pics back then i did so many of them for the different tracks and cars we used and once you have welded 1 up and got it right you dont need the pics again. remember the gears need to be welded as fully as poss the more weld you can get round them the better dont just weld them to each other as they will split in two you need to weld to the shafts there on and the case that holds them. what you going to weld it with???

martin

Martin W

Well-Known Forum User
i would normally use stick for a diff as you can get into the gears better but you need to be a good stick welder to do it... get the power up feed not to high so as to get good pen and not leave a cold weld but remember the parts your trying to weld are cast and they dont like being welded. wash the diff out first you dont want oil on it when your welding or you could get perosity in the weld and it will be a crap weld, its hard to gring back in a diff case to do it again.. wash it out when done...

martin

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
I haven't got any further down the road with it yet as I'm now building my S13/240z gearbox first I want to see how it drives with the new box first then, I'll stick in the welded Diff and try it.I'll ley you know how it goes and do another youtube Vid.