Vinyl flooring - standard ?

Gnose

Club Member
Hi, I’ve had a search but can’t find the answer, I’ve seen a few Z’s with diamond patterned vinyl in the boot sides and around the transmission tunnel, mine has carpet, is this a standard item and mine has been replaced or year / model specific ?
And what do we think of it ? I really like the look

richiep

Club Member
Diamond pattern vinyl is standard; the larger diamond pattern is correct for cars to 73, the later vehicles having a smaller diamond pattern, although reproductions of that later version aren't available AFAIK. Your car should have the large diamond pattern on the rear strut towers and inner arches, and the transmission tunnel.

Late-model US-market 280Zs came with carpeted tunnels I think though.

The dominant view - nice diamond vinyl is better and correct, certainly for 240Z. Carpeting was often a solution to hide damaged vinyl or due to personal preference, but most restorations these days would involve correcting past owners' dodgy ideas of "plush and comfortable"!

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
And what do we think of it ? I really like the look

Correct for the car and - in my opinion - an intrinsic part of its period character. Nissan's stylists and designers were influenced both by early to mid-Sixties Ferraris and military helicopters, which used a similar diamond-stitched theme.

In the Z that 'diamond stitched' type pattern was heat-pressed into vinyl. There are good pre-cut and stitched reproduction kits available on the market, but Fourways might even be able to put together a respectably decent used set for you if you can put up with a few nicks and small marks (the pieces around the rear strut towers were particularly vulnerable to damage). They have an excellent local trimmer on hand too.