Valve Stem Oil Seals

malcolmpaul

Well-Known Forum User
Is it possible, has anybody done it, to replace the valve stem oil seals on an L24 engine without removing the cylinder head?

Yes I did mine recently took about 2 hours, what I did was turn the engine over till it was firing on say number 1 at tdc then rotated the engine back a touch then fed in a large amount of nylon rope ( from B&Q braided so it doesn't fray) untill the cylinder was full then turned the engine clockwise again untill it stopped this then holds the valves up then I slackened off the rocker adjustment removed the rocker arms and used a ball joint splitter as a valve spring compressor, you have to put something strong between the surfaces while levering the spring down, remove the springs change seal re assemble.make sure collets are seated turn engine back slightly remove nylon, turn engine to next cylinder start again. I think 4 of the 12 are tight on space but it can be done.!!
Hope this helps.

Just take the head off & re-grind the valves while it's off & if it hasn't been ported give it a polish up & while you are at it have the head skimmed if it hasn't been done & do the job right.

Take an old spark plug, break out the porcelain section and weld on an airline fitting to the base.
Then turn cylinder to TDC, put engine into gear with handbrake on. Fit tool to cylinder to be sorted and connect airline from compressor. Then you can lever against cam with screwdrivers or maybe a forked tool is easier, such as a ball joint splitter. Remove collets with a small magnet. Done this many a time over the years!
PS
Make sure car is in gear, so that it can't turn over with cylinder pressure, and only remove the one spark plug of cylinder you are doing at a time!

Take an old spark plug, break out the porcelain section and weld on an airline fitting to the base.
Then turn cylinder to TDC, put engine into gear with handbrake on. Fit tool to cylinder to be sorted and connect airline from compressor. Then you can lever against cam with screwdrivers or maybe a forked tool is easier, such as a ball joint splitter. Remove collets with a small magnet. Done this many a time over the years!
PS
Make sure car is in gear, so that it can't turn over with cylinder pressure, and only remove the one spark plug of cylinder you are doing at a time!

The homemade tool can also be used to check for blown head gaskets, burnt valves and cracked rings also!
very handy tool to have if you have a compressor :)

Back