Valve adjustment L Series

Mr.G

Club Member
I've read a couple of manuals and posts on how to adjust the valves on the Z and I am more or less confident as to what is involved and how I should go about it. I think....gulp! :rolleyes:

Since it will be my first time adjusting valves I am not going to even attempt to adjust them hot, I will adjust them cold so I can take my time and get it right.

What I am unsure about is do the end results vary somewhat? Is a hot adjustment far superior to a cold adjustment? After doing a cold adjustment, would I have to try and hot adjust any time soon?

When adjusting valve clearences cold the gap is usually smaller than when hot, cold 8 in 10 ex and hot in 10 ex 12 so once youve set them cold you dont have to recheck hot.
It helps to take the plugs out to make turning the engine over easier. Adrian.

In that case why would anyone go to the trouble of setting them hot then? :confused: Seems like a race against time for no reason.

Also, would it be a good idea to torque up the head bolts whilst the rocker cover is off? I've never had the head off but read in a manual to do it whilst the rocker cover is off, dont know if i should or not.

Thanks Adrian.

Its not a case of getting the engine to running temp and then imediately doing the tappets like theres mad rush the engine stays hot for quite a while and its always nicer working on a hot engine anyway, especially in the winter.
Dont even think about touching the head bolts without good reason, and the only reason to tamper with them is to take the head off!
If it aint broke dont fix it!
Merry Christmas Adrian

Back