using an engine that has not been run for a long time

abas

Well-Known Forum User
I am using a replacement 260z 'short' engine ( ie block and head) in my 240z for now as the original was blown when I bought the car. I have put the engine in the car, and run it, and it is not running right ( possibly overheating - see my earlier thread) although other than that it seems good, no black sludge, cam and followers are good and it seems to have good equal compression on all cylinders. My question is, other members who have used old engines that haven't been run for some time, what has been necessary to repair/replace or problems that have been found, particularly on the cooling system ( clogged water jackets etc).

I really ought to have addressed this before I put the engine in the car, but it is my first attempt to get an old z engine running so I am learning as I go.

thanks for any help

what ive had happen in the past is that the themostat rusts itself in the shut position whip it out throw it over the hedge and order a new one from mr f .giving it a good flushing out can only help as well good luck

I am using a replacement 260z 'short' engine ( ie block and head) in my 240z for now as the original was blown when I bought the car. I have put the engine in the car, and run it, and it is not running right ( possibly overheating - see my earlier thread) although other than that it seems good, no black sludge, cam and followers are good and it seems to have good equal compression on all cylinders. My question is, other members who have used old engines that haven't been run for some time, what has been necessary to repair/replace or problems that have been found, particularly on the cooling system ( clogged water jackets etc).

I really ought to have addressed this before I put the engine in the car, but it is my first attempt to get an old z engine running so I am learning as I go.

thanks for any help
Corrosion and consequent restriction or blockage of the small waterways is a known problem.
Conventional flushing wont do any good as the water just flows round the easy way thru the bigger holes and the little ones stay blocked.
I learnt this the hard way too:mad: I

Hi will try and get down the weekend to give you a hand, thermostat first, then flush and go from there.

what ive had happen in the past is that the themostat rusts itself in the shut position whip it out throw it over the hedge and order a new one from mr f .giving it a good flushing out can only help as well good luck

I just did this in my Z31, worked a treat :bow:

Back