urgentissimo, fasto, quicko

boomer

Well-Known Forum User
I hit a border on curb last monday with my right rear tire (no excuse :mad:, I take this curb twice a day ??????)
And now the car is shaking all over when I turn right, a bit less when I turn left, and not at all in straight line!
How strong is the rear diff ?
Did I damage the diff, or more likely the half-shafts ?
Are they rebuildable or do I have to find new ones ?
How to tell if it's the diff or something else, I did put the car on a lift and nothing looks bended or even out of place, no leak, I know a tiny bit is enough so!

Well, as it's my daily driver, please be fast to respond!!!!!!
Boomer:eek:
:S30: :280Z:

put the spare on assuming its the same type.....problem cured = wheel!

not cured = oh poo, time n hastle

get your tape measure out cos ya bent something.get the car up on axle stands and have a proper look.

your traction will be well out, why dont you take it to a tyre place and get them to check the traction and while its on ramps see if they can see anything untoward.

Well i think it should read "too many late nights" otherwise i might get concerned about the fact that there having 2 man late nights :D

Back to the thread... is changing the rear diff a one man task in an average sized garage with the weekender usual tools?

What should I collect before... gaskets? Bolts? any spec. tool?

Pedestrian Fred...:(

Boomer,

Hope you're well and I'm sorry to hear of your car troubles. I'm not a ZX owner, but it sounds more like a suspension element than diff or halfshaft to me. Tracking is the first thing to check on that front.

I did a similar thing on a different car years ago when I reversed into a driveway and clipped a rear wheel on a gatepost. I bent the rod that went from the bottom of the rear suspension horizontally to the bodyframe (trailing arm?) and stuck a good 30 degree plus kink into it. Now, that was pretty obvious, but a few degrees might not be visible, and it would still have a noticeable effect.

More knowledgeable peeps please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd get my alignment tested first.

Good luck,

Tony

I am about to find out if it's the rear diff... well just about!

I have a tripod diff on the 1983 280ZX and a spare R200 from a previous u-joint 280ZX.
Is there a way to use the non-tripod with the previous rear diff ? May I take the half-shaft and just stick the tripod shaft in it ????

HELP:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

border hit...

Hello fred

I thinks you d' better to check your car on an axle stand before than incriminate the differential, (i don't think that your hit could done damage on your differential or only if it was a big hit....)

Check your right rear suspension (it could be bent), but the best way is with an axle stand because it can detect mistake that can't be seen with your eyes...

If you want help call me

benoît

Back