Tyres for the 280ZX?

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
HI,
My 280ZX came with 195/70 14 tyres fitted to the mag wheels....Can you still get this size or perhaps 205's in a performance rated tyre?
I did a quick search on the web and you only seem to see 4x4 SUV type tyres in these sizes!:eek:
I was thinking of putting 205's on the back, as the 195's look a bit narrow by modern standards.I suppose that a change to 15" wheels would give more choice, but I don't want to change the wheels at the moment!

To maintain rolling radius by comparison to the 195-70, a 205 tyre would need a 65 profile which, as far as I am aware, doesn't exist in a performance tyre (vans maybe!).
To maintain the rolling radius you need a 225-60 which is then getting to the wrong side of compatibility with a 6" rim and probably no longer obtainable anyway.

I've seen 205 70 14 listed for USA and Canada, but not confirmed for UK. However, the change in diameter would work to compensate for the manual car's 3.9:1 differential change from the earlier 3.7:1...

So 205/70's might be ok on my car then?...I did have a facelift 280ZX back in the 1980's but it had the metric Denovo tyres...You still see them still on 280ZX's for sale even now!

I think that should work, but just check that your speedo is still properly calibrated. A set of the later 6-spoke wheels would be ideal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Yokohamas (S306 H 95) as per the ones on ebay fitted to my 280zx and they seem pretty good. I got them through www.valuetyres.co.uk about a year ago, but I have had a look and it seems they no longer stock them.

The Yokohamas were the only decent branded tyre I could find at that size.

I think that should work, but just check that your speedo is still properly calibrated. A set of the later 6-spoke wheels would be ideal.
Hi,
I seem to remember that you had a set of 6 spokes in your clearance sale last year?....Don't suppose you still have some?
My wife won't be happy at the moment if I get any more wheels though!...Just cleared the garage of previous Z32 parts and wheels!:unsure:

I have the Yokohamas (S306 H 95) as per the ones on ebay fitted to my 280zx and they seem pretty good. I got them through www.valuetyres.co.uk about a year ago, but I have had a look and it seems they no longer stock them.
The Yokohamas were the only decent branded tyre I could find at that size.

Hi,
Have you a photo of them on the car?....Just wondered what they look like?
Nice looking 280ZX btw...You didn't buy it from a guy in Trowbridge did you?

6-spokes sold last year I'm afraid. I have a single available - new but with some ally worm under the laquer.

Hi,
Have you a photo of them on the car?....Just wondered what they look like?
Nice looking 280ZX btw...You didn't buy it from a guy in Trowbridge did you?

I don't have any recent pics with the tyres on, poor effort really, will need to take some up-to-date ones. One thing I would say is that the tyres that came on the car looked pretty good, until one of the failed on the motorway... a 2" square came off the inside side wall, so if you think the tyres you have are antique, but look OK, change them.

And yes I bought the Z from the guy in Trowbridge.

I don't have any recent pics with the tyres on, poor effort really, will need to take some up-to-date ones. One thing I would say is that the tyres that came on the car looked pretty good, until one of the failed on the motorway... a 2" square came off the inside side wall, so if you think the tyres you have are antique, but look OK, change them.

And yes I bought the Z from the guy in Trowbridge.

Hi,
Yes my tyres do look like antiques!....One of the rears has cracks in it due to under-inflation too.
I might go for the Yokohamas as they look a reasonable tyre, although I've also seen some Falkens advertised in the same size and they're a bit cheaper.I've heard good reports of Falkens tyres too!

I saw your car advertised in Classic Car Weekly a couple of years ago and gave the chap a ring....Turned out he lives just around the corner from my Aunt, so I intended to have a look at it.
I rang him on the Sunday to let him know what time I would be there and you must have just bought it and driven away in it!;)

The chap I bought it from said his phone was red hot with enquiries, guess I was quick off the mark.

Re: the tyres, I like the fact the Yokohamas are on a car from Yokohama. Sad I know... I'm sure the other ones you are looking at will be fine, and if you save a few £££s, why not.

Yes!....Yokohamas do sound better than the Sava Effecta tyres that one tyre shop quoted me for!:conf2:

They're some cheapo Russian tyres made by Goodyear to fit on Soviet tractors probably!:D

I'm definately veering towards the Yokos!!

Yeh those Russian ones will be good for about 500,000 miles, but on down sided concrete is softer.

Northway Tyres who are owned by Kwik-Fit had all the sizes including Michelin and Yokies but they were pricey at 120 each. They could get them for me in 2 days...Wish you luck with it!

HI,
Finally changed all the tyres today at a local tyre shop.I decided to fit Falken FK 07U 205/70 14's as they were a reasonable price, but not too cheap!
I've had Falken tyres on a previous car and they seemed ok!
I used Southam Tyres, who are part of http://www.protyre.co.uk, owned by Micheldever Tyres.

2248fk07u.jpg

Attachments

• 280 tyres.jpg
    280 tyres.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 12
  • 280 reartyre2.jpg
    280 reartyre2.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 280 rear tyre.jpg
    280 rear tyre.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator: