triple SU's

qunvat

Well-Known Forum User
...I know E types used 'em ..has anyone ever tried triple SU's ?

I really like the smoothness of the twin 2" SU's I got as oppose to the very meaty yet not smooth triple webers in me previous....

missing the power a bit though.

ummmmm, Si

NOoooooooo dont go there, the firing order is all wrong, induction pulses, dead spots, complex linkages blah blah blah

Buy some triples and save your self the hassle, better still buy some throttle bodies and go faster than all the rest of the flock.

If though your still interested check out http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/TripleSUs.htm

now come on Steve.......LET ME IN!!!........am loving the smootheness of SU's but need / want more power!!!!

Si

p.s /......I just bin looking at your gallery...I dont understand any of your engine bay!.wheres the bloody distributor?....oooooo my head hurts!

Si.

I read a while ago about triple SU's and also thought "bloody hell!". Wayyy too much aggro!

And you couldn't buy a manifold anyway :)

Qunvat,
Nice 2+2, by the way. But if you are wanting more power, start by getting rid of those pancake filters on your SU's. Far too thin for filtering and there is no venturi on the carb. You have some decent spark plug leads, so what about getting your carbs breathing properly. Anybody else agree? Just a thought....

Ian

You need a minimum of 25mm clearance between carb intake and outer plate of the air filter for anywhere near decent airflow into the carb. 30mm minimum preferred, even more for elevated BHP. If you run ram pipes, then the measurement is taken from the outer lip of the ram pipe bell.

e.g. in a 63mm K & N filter you could run a 30mm ram pipe successfully, in an 83mm K & N you could run a 50mm ram pipe.

On twin 1.75" SU type carbs, a pair of 63mm deep K & N will be good for 190-200bhp and a pair of 83mm deep will cover your requirements up to 265-275bhp!

The Brown & Geeson (for our older readers) wire gauze thin units seen in the picture are almost certainly reducing the horsepower potential of even a stock engine...

Top top info !......They're 2" carbs so I need to hunt for 2 ram pipes to fit and worry about the K'nN's later!?

Cheers again, Si

Mr.F said:
On twin 1.75" SU type carbs, a pair of 63mm deep K & N will be good for 190-200bhp and a pair of 83mm deep will cover your requirements up to 265-275bhp!

The Brown & Geeson (for our older readers) wire gauze thin units seen in the picture are almost certainly reducing the horsepower potential of even a stock engine...
Out of interest Mike...how much are 2 of the 63 mm ones??

Cheers,Si

Back