Transmission Filter

bro973x

Well-Known Forum User
Is there a filter on/for the transmission on my 1982 280zx? She sounds good and isn't slipping but the pick up is really bad....Maybe......:unsure:

Like other Nissan auto boxes there is a metal gauze filter below the valve body on the 280ZX. Unfortunately you need to remove the pan to get to it.

On all auto boxes, regular fluid changes and a filter clean or replace are much neglected service requirements...

Thanks Mike! I service all the bits every 6 months but have failed this one..I have never changed the transmission fluid. It's still a nice translucent red so didn't think anything of it. Thanks again! I'm onto it!

Hi,
Had a look in my 280zx Haynes manual , but it only really tells you how to drain the fluid and is very vague regarding the filter!

Drain fluid, drop pan, undo one small bolt securing filter to valve body, remove and replace by reverse procedure...

I spoke to 'Sunny' at Mill Hill Nissan who said I should leave it alone!!! "My Manager is a 240 owner and says they should never be changed" ..Thats what he said! So...Who here is the manager of Mill Hill? Oh,and he's a member too!

Last price I had on the filter was £18.43 + VAT. New pan gasket was £11.70 + VAT. Allow maybe +5% for current price after Nissan's recent increase...
May take a week or so to obtain.

Back