timing in a 2.8 NOT from a zx...

qunvat

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all,

..in this loverly car is a 2.8 with an N42 head and N42 block.. BUT a very helpful fella called Adrian the Ferrari thinks the engine is from a 280c

...this is 'cos it has no injection holes

... I've fitted triple dellortos and have tried for toooo long to get it 'close' tuning wise. I've set it to 14 @ 800 RPM (no vacuum advance).....
Has anyone got any thoughts / advice?....I'm getting very fed up of the popping at exhaust and hesitation, the plugs' colour are close. I'll rolling road it when I know everything else is 'right'

Ta all, Si.

What compression ratio are you running??
What cam??
What valve sizes??
What manifold(exhaust)

pmac said:
What compression ratio are you running??
What cam??
What valve sizes??
What manifold(exhaust)

Hi there...

I dont know the first thing about the ratio gubbings... (am willing to learn!) I guess the cam and valves are standard, I read once that the valves may be smaller than wot was used in the zx's ... attached a pic of manifold (thanks to Albertrech)

Cheers,Si

Attachments

• manifold!.jpg
    manifold!.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 24
OK... lets just take this one step at a time then.....
Compression ratio ..unknown(but probably low if its a 280C engine)
Cam unknown but probably stock 280C
Valves unknown but probably stock and small
HUGE tubular manifold and a mahooosive set of triple webers.
And you wonder why it wont run right????:confused:
Hmmm.. where do I start??:conf2:

Best buy Adrian a few beers one night and ask him for some basic tuning principles Si..:bow: The above doesnt look good like a good combo... and thats being polite.;)

Ta mate!...

All good info was thinking of saving up and giving to My Jarmen....or buying Ade so many beers he forgets to charge me!!!

Si

...but taking into account it's probable current set up, does 14 @ 800 RPM sound good to you mate?

Si

Back