Three faults - 1. Water temperature guage

Z32dave

Well-Known Forum User
I am in the process of selling my Zed but three faults are making this difficult. The first of these is with the WATER TEMPERATURE GUAGE.

A year or so ago I removed the clock cluster to fit some different clock faces and also to examine the fuel gauge which was not working. I removed the cables from the cluster and cleaned the connectors, also removing the needles ready to replace the clock faces. Unfortunately the clock faces would not fit so I replaced the needles and refitted the cluster. Happily the fuel gauge now worked OK but when the engine was running the water temperature gauge slowly crept up to maximum. I have driven the Zed a thousand miles or so since then in all sorts of conditions, including queuing for 40 minutes to get into JapFest a couple of weeks ago, and there has never been any sign of distress from the engine but the temperature gauge will always rise to maximum. It worked perfectly OK before I removed the cluster, the needle always rising to halfway between the min/max position.

CAN ANYONE ADVISE WHAT THE CAUSE/REMEDY FOR THIS PROBLEM MIGHT BE?

Cheers - Dave

andymcc

Well-Known Forum User
The temp gauge is reading a resistance through the temp sensor. If the gauge is on max then there is a short to ground in the wiring or through the sensor.