The ZVR Lives ...

mikecart

Well-Known Forum User
Well this morning was a dreary days driving - wind, rain, mud, traffic, you name it...

But my day was brightened considerably by the sight of an oncoming 280ZX 2 seater while I was stuck in a queue in Bradford-on-Avon.

Then just to widen my grin even further I heard a rumble through the open window and past went a blue 240Z with a familiar looking Reg No.

I guess WYN 296M was off to play with friends at Castle Combe ...?

Cheered up my miserable morning :D

Mike

only 2 miles from me, if my head gasket had not blown you may have also seen a silver 240!

It was indeed me (In the V8) and HankeyNEJ (In the 280). We also had a Chimaera 5.0 in tow and an M Coupe. We were going up for a track day at Colerne airfield. Fantastic fun. The ZVR does four wheel drifts right across the runway!

Colern is a superbly fast track but unfortunately it was foreshortened due to high winds that particular day. We booked through Motorsport-events.co.uk and cost £79 for the day which gives you unlimited track time, assuming your car is up to the abuse.

I've decided 280's weren't intended to be thrown round tracks with quite so much vigour- it has since developed a 'healthy' leak from the gearbox into the bell housing, but where would I be without a little winter project?!

Colerne was great, just like a proper little circuit. I went through motorsport-events who are a small north Wiltshire based company. I have done three track days and one of their academ days. They vary in cost between £79 and £99. That's a bargain. Sessions in the morning and then open pit lane. You get a great mix of cars too. We ought to organise a Z's day!!

Oh and it's Tom, not TCH911!

PS - Is yours the car that was advertised for quite a while up in Scotland. I almost went to go and look at it. Looked kind of grey in the photos. You've done a great job of jazzing it up. Nothing like spanking a bit of cash on a new aquisition!

MaximG said:
Any chance of a short right up for the Mag??
Sure, tell me how etc. Someone took some photos. They're on the end of the huuuuge ZVR thread in this Hybrid forum

Hi Tom;)
Yes its the one from Scotland.
It did look grey on the picture but it is silver in the flesh so to speak.
I pulled it apart and had all the suspension made plus new dampers made. All urethane bushing, rear dic conversion from DJ. new fibreglass bumpers, urethane spoiler from MJP. Wheels...oh the fun I've had trying to sort them out :mad: they are ok now at least. Just sorted the engine as it had the cam 8 degress out and changed the heeadgasket for a stell 0.6mm one. It goes really well now :D
It still needs the roof changing (non sunroof) and the dampers re-valving (bump is too hard)
Paintwork isn't great as there is small rust bits here and there but I guess thats the norm with these cars.
My Brother races at CC a lot, he has built a new car http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/story.asp?ArticleID=141
Its a bit of an animal, around 470bhp:eek: you know you need TC when you can wheelspin at 100 in 5th:D . the track days at CC are a bit limited which is the main reason I asked about Colerne, no doubt I will take the Z up there for a bit of fun too.
I will check out motorsportevents for dates.
whats the spec on your car?

How funny, the Ed Moore, mentioned in the title is sponsored by, and I believe, owns Motorsport-events.

I'm greedy and actually have the two Z's, both of which are in my gallery.

The 240 is obviously the infamous ZVR with a 240bhp TVR V8

The 260 is a stunner and has a 2.8 on Triple Webers, DJ head, Nismo racing header, Fourways exhaust, road/race cam, sumitomo brakes, etc, etc... Spent the past six months building a new engine after a bearing threw itself. Had it set up by the legendary Peter Lambda at Sigma Engineering in Gillingham (PS - He truly is a carb god) and am now running it in. Should be comfortably in excess of 200bhp

Ah Mr Moore runs it, is he there for the day or do you have someone else running the day?
The 260 sounds like it has a similar spec engine to mine, Ive not set my carbs up yet, I just bought an LM-1 from innovative so I should be able to get it spot on eventually.
I'd like to take a look at the ZVR....I wanted to buy it!!!

mikecart said:
Well this morning was a dreary days driving - wind, rain, mud, traffic, you name it...

But my day was brightened considerably by the sight of an oncoming 280ZX 2 seater while I was stuck in a queue in Bradford-on-Avon.

Then just to widen my grin even further I heard a rumble through the open window and past went a blue 240Z with a familiar looking Reg No.

I guess WYN 296M was off to play with friends at Castle Combe ...?

Cheered up my miserable morning :D

Mike

Mike,

I had a look at your Gallery and you've got photographs of my 260z (I know, I'm greedy), albeit in a very different state. I bought it from Duncan at Z farm at the beginning of the summer. I've now rebuilt the engine as above.

Tom

PS - Have you guys put your names on the Z club members map. We ought to have a thrash across Salisbury Plain!

twoforty said:
Ah Mr Moore runs it, is he there for the day or do you have someone else running the day?
The 260 sounds like it has a similar spec engine to mine, Ive not set my carbs up yet, I just bought an LM-1 from innovative so I should be able to get it spot on eventually.
I'd like to take a look at the ZVR....I wanted to buy it!!!

You might want to set it up yourself but I'd say, a session with Sigma will pay dividends. Nick (HankeyNEJ) had his car done and it's unbelievable the difference it made.

Ed runs the day.

The ZVR is there for hooning, the 260 is there for class at the moment. One's definitely for sale, I just can't decide which.

well if you decide to sell the ZVR let me know, I'll check out that sigma place, thanks.

PS - Have you guys put your names on the Z club members map. We ought to have a thrash across Salisbury Plain!Today 07:14 PM

I'd be up for that! some good roads out that way

tch911 said:
The ZVR is there for hooning, the 260 is there for class at the moment. One's definitely for sale, I just can't decide which.

Shock horror :eek:
You’re not thinking of selling already Tom?

You fancy my yr 2000 900rry Honda fireblade in px?

twoforty said:
Where is the Members map area? I can't find it

I think I signed it a while ago... can't remember, it was in a thread and I don't think it was ever linked in a menu... :(

I'd be interested in seeing it again though! :)

Back