Swapping Steering Wheels

SkylineDave

Well-Known Forum User
Hey there. Got a replacement steering wheel for my import Z32 TT auto. Not had a chance to swap it with my current (slightly faulty) one yet. Wiring-wise, looks like the cruise controls come through to a white plug, then a black plug, and the horn comes through to another plug which goes from the centrepiece to the body of the steering wheel. Any hints before I start because I'm still young and I don't want to die yet! :)

Are you replacing it with an OE version (ie like for like)? If you've got a different make, you'll need a new boss too. I recently bought a Momo Race wheel and then got the boss from Mike at MJP. Blimmin' expensive, but at least it was the correct type. The berks at Halfords et al didn't have a clue and kept supplying the wrong parts.

Got mine installed by my mechanic as I don't trust myself with a spanner!

Now looks the biz!

Well wouldn't you know, the guys at MY Halfords didn't have a clue either. They said they had the boss for the Euro ZX but not the Jappo ZX as they were different - and I was going for non-standard steering wheel as well (one with two red buttons either side that look like nitrous boosts but are actually the horn - ahem). Think my replacement wheel is from a broken ZX - the same type of car etc. Will get the mechanic down the road to take a look... play it safe...

Beware that the wheel boss should accomodate not only the cruise control electrics (if so equipped), but also the links to the HICAS sensor below the boss. There are several patterns of aftermarket boss available, but the one I commonly supply is the HICAS / cruise version for MOMO pattern. (one in stock if you are interested....)

Yep.....learnt a valuable lesson - always go to the experts first!

Thanks MrF....I'm sure that won't be my only purchase from your good self :D

Thanks Mr. F. Will not have a chance to take it in until about Thursday but will let u know what happens. (i'll bookmark the '300ZXs for sale' forum just in case!!!) :rolleyes:

well took the car in this morning to get the steering wheel swapped, and spoke to the guy in the garage next door who said he'd valet the car AND fix two cracks in my front bumper after the wheel was done, but got a call a few hours later saying a plastic wiring guide was missing from below the wheel. i'll need to source one from the same guy i got the wheel from now! and cos he was fiddling around with the wheel so much the guy next door didnt have time to work on the car at all. what great day has everyone else been having?

Have you got it fixed yet? It'll be worth the hassle, trust me.
I think from buying the wheel to getting it fitted must have taken over six months :eek:

Ordered the HICAS plastic thingy and will take the car in (again) as soon as it arrives. Apparently it's the first thing that goes when a non-standard wheel goes on 'cos it gets in the way or something. Should have listened to Mr. F shouldn't I? :rolleyes:

right the boss has come through at last. black plastic circular thing with wires hanging out of the side. i'm sure thats not its propor name though. will try and get it fitted early next week.

ok took the car in again today and got a phone call later saying the adaptor I had received was already on the car and wouldn't fit the steering wheel!

I've attached a photo of the adaptor I ordered, but the guy says a) the two black plastic spokes shouldn't be there as they prevent the wheel from sitting on the plastic surface below, and b) there should be a brass protrusion which makes contact with the surface of the underside of the wheel whenever the horn is pressed.

There's also a picture of the back of the wheel. Is there something missing here, cos one of the two plastic protrusions (ringed in red) looks like it should plug into a third plastic bit between the wheel and the adaptor (which I don't have if it does exist)?

Can anyone help as I'm running out of hair to pull out and I don't want to start 'down there'.

(ps. the bottle of brandy in the background of the picture will no doubt be empty at this rate!)

The extensions on the plastic adapter are part of the HICAS sensor and should slide up inside the back of the wheel. If there are no holes for them, I would suggest that the wheel is from a non-HICAS equipped car, e.g. a normally aspirated version (?). Also, there appear to be too few tracks on the back of the wheel - for cruise controls + horn there are at least three (or is it four?) separate tracks. Maybe the picture is not clear, but that looks like one wide track with a groove worn in it where the contact for the horn has been rubbing round? Does the wheel have the button set for the cruise?

Hi Mr. F. The wheel does have the three cruise controls on the front. After rubbing my finger along the back of the wheel where it is greased it does actually feel like one continuous track from inside to out. And there is no place for the two extensions to plug in at all. The plugs just come in line with the greased track when you attempt to 'plug' the adapter on (see pic). My car is a TT, but not sure about the wheel.

Attachments

• picture 0271.jpg
    picture 0271.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 12
I don't have an intact wheel here to make comparisons, but I'm convinced that the rotary track part of the wheel shown is for a non-HICAS equipped car. Will the single track ring pull off the back of the wheel and allow the HICAS sensor assy. to sit correctly? The only wheel I have here has no rotary track in the back, but it does have slots into which the plastic extensions of the HICAS sensor would fit. The only difference is that it was a non-cruise equipped version.

Note that the extensions of the HICAS sensor must reach into the wheel as they need to be turned with the wheel to provide signals on wheel position to the HICAS system.

Hmm. The track ring seems pretty secure. Eight small black plastic lugs arranged in a kind of flower pattern look like they hold the ring in place.
If I take the centre panel off the front of the wheel (ie. the horn pad) there doesn't look like theres any place for the two extensions to come through (they might just hit a metal frame). Plus I cant find any way of feeding the cruise control wire through to plug into the HICAS sensor (I assume thats what happens as they fit ok).
It does seem in my novice opinion that I've got an NA wheel with cruise controls and need a TT wheel with cruise to accomodate the HICAS extensions + wiring.
Anything more or should I contact the seller and see if I can obtain a TT wheel?

I think we have Mr. F. :)

Anyway a TT wheel should be here by early next week. I'll keep everyone posted on this epic saga. <:)

And a Happy New Year to everyone.

Back