swapping my Diff. Help Please!!!!

Viper

Forum User
i heard that the 280ZX would be better with a 4.11 diff. and the the nissan 720 4x4 posses one in the front drive part, my question might be dumb to others but im new to this area of machanics.
Anywho, what diff. does a stock 280ZX N/A have and what or how do i install a 4.11 diff.?

I also planning on installing an 83 280ZXT 5-speed tranny to swap out my stock one. would that be a great upgrade or not?

Any advise, please help. thanx.

USA cars have various gearing dependent on area, auto or manual and NA/turbo. Some will have the R180 with 3.364:1 or 3.545:1 ratios. Others will have the R200 with additional ratios of 3.7:1 and 3.9:1 available.

Autos are generally R180 and 3.545:1
Four speed manual will be 3.364:1
Early five speed manual start with 3.7:1 and then replace with 3.9:1
Turbo has 3.545:1with auto, 3.9:1 with manual

Ideal transplant for your NA would be the later 5-speed and the 3.9:1 R200. 4.11 will compromise cruise RPM and would be a disaster with auto or 4-speed manual unless you have huge power, high RPM capability and just want to go drag racing!
The turbo manual transmission is matched to the 3.9:1 diff and will make a great drivetrain combination if swapped complete. I think you will need the propshaft too as the turbo one is a beefed up version with a different spline pattern (I think...:conf2:).

my Z is a 1979. so basically, all i have to do is swap out my tranny for a tranny off a turbo engine, also what synthetic gear oil will give the best results, cause i hear that red line MT-90 is the same as others?

280ZXT gearbox is a Borg/Warner T5. Rear spline is different, so make sure you get the prop for your conversion.

Back