Suspension Stut Oil

Paul Henley

Club Member
Hi All
I'm just currently rebuilding my 240z suspension and about to fit some new KYB struts into the Strut Tubes. Fortunately everything seems to fit ok, but a couple of queries -
Firstly the new struts come with a "washer ring" that I can't seem to find a use for, I'm supposing it's a general part that maybe required when fitting to some cars but not all?
and secondly, how important the the correct oil required to be put into the strut tubes before inserting the new struts, or can it just be a general light oil? (don't really want to spend the time or money on a "special" oil that i'll never use again unless really required), and how do you know what the correct amount to put in is?, to be honest don't really understand what this oil does.

As always, thanks to anyone taking the time to respond. i'll attach a pic showing the strut and "washer ring thingy"

Cheers

Paul

Attachments

• DSC02623.JPG
    DSC02623.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 19
General light oil will be fine. It has two functions - aids heat transfer when the shock is working hard and prevents problems of the cartridge sticking in the tube if you need to dismantle later.
Washer ring is a spacer - KYB fronts suit both 240Z and 260Z, so supplied with two different gland nuts. Check if gland nut bottoms out - if so, use the spacer to ensure the cartridge is located properly...

Back