Super Z!

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
What would you need to do to a classic Z (240/260) to make it beat a Subaru Impreza WRX, in a straight line drag?

As far as I can tell, the stock WRX would do it in low 14s, but it all depends on the driver..

A 240z/260z with some of the usual good mods should be able to do this, but would be useful to see what others have done in the past.. I hear there may be an article coming soon?? ;)

I'm sure others that have actually done it will be able to tell you more!

No no... I'm not talking about combining the two cars... just wondering what you'd need to do to a stock Z to make it leave an imp in its dust? :)

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear Mark, I do see what you mean. I meant a 240z/260z with the usual mods e.g. 2.8, higher compression, cams, exhaust, possibly triple carbs.. and good tyres I would have though would be in low 14 territory.

Although I remember seeing a guy called norm in the US who did a 12sec pass using SU carbs!?:confused:

markp matey
mike feeney can probably tell you

and is that a hillman imp you wanna leave in your dust hehe

hehehe thanks for the info chaps :) I'm just eager to shut up an annoying friend who is almost as bad as Clarkson in his hatred of all things Z!

Mark Rayner Engine

Best think to do is ask Mark Rayner to build you a 2.8 engine stick on a set of triple 48 Dellortos and you can also run in the 13 second bracket time.Thats what he built for my super samuri, best time i ran at the pod was high 13 second quarter also the LSD helped get the power down on the track. Now have finished restoring a 1970 240z with a fresh Mark Rayer Engine ! see you all next year at the Pod !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Datsun Dave = Dave Porter then ??

no that be david "i like to try and drink a bottle of beer threw the side of me neck"
porter

suppose your gonna keep what youre doin a secret mr dave
its been great seeing you back on the scene young man
later

Mark,
The fastest "modified" car currently does 13.72 seconds for the 1/4:D , easily beating a scooby or an evo or an M3 or loads of things really, in fact quiet a few 300TT's.

This was with a "modified" class of car ie Normally aspirated, no greater than 45mm induction tracts, no light-weight panels, no slicks and 2.8 litre maximum engine size.

Any greater spec puts you in "super modified" class and up against bigger and nastier cars, capable of sub 13 seconds.

see you all next year at the Pod
Should be fun :devil:
put an engine like mine in it,
why :confused:

SKiddell said:
Mark,
The fastest "modified" car currently does 13.72 seconds for the 1/4:D , easily beating a scooby or an evo or an M3 or loads of things really, in fact quiet a few 300TT's.

This was with a "modified" class of car ie Normally aspirated, no greater than 45mm induction tracts, no light-weight panels, no slicks and 2.8 litre maximum engine size.

Any greater spec puts you in "super modified" class and up against bigger and nastier cars, capable of sub 13 seconds.

Should be fun :devil:
why :confused:
Thanks! Thats a great post and makes a load more sense to me!

Thanks again!

Talk to Mr F. He really is the guru for all things drag racing related.

But if he ain't around...

Use a 240 for a start as the 260 is significantly heavier (as much as having a fat b*st*rd in the 240 with you) Then fit a 2.8 with headwork, cam & triple webers (size depending on cam and head mods). Changing to more favourable diff ratio (can't remember which one - help me out here folks) should seal it.

Oh yes, and NOS to really wipe the smug git Impreza-with-silly-graphics smile off his face.

Only prob is, he can snap his fingers and get more grunt for very little expense by comparison :-(

Hi,
The problem would be finding an un-modified Subaru (or Evo)!...They just need to turn up the boost!
Having said that they aren't about straightline performance, but more about going round corners quickly too!
I don't know about beating an Evo, as the EvoVI or VII will do 0-100mph in about 11 secs!
Cheerz,
JEZ

I was kinda thinking of the earlier Evo's and yes your right, going around bends they would be very difficult to beat, although I would hazard a guess that our HSCC boys would give them a run for their money. Strangely though in 2 years at the pod I cant recall seeing an Evo:confused: thats not to say they dont go, I guess their just not as prevelant as the good old Subaru (MacDonalds car park) Imprezza.

http://www.fast-autos.net/mitsubishi/mitsubishievo8mr.html

Sorry to wander from the topic but...

Would a tricked up 240z (forgetting engine power) with all the performance parts you can muster and a set back engine (think perfect weight distribution) with lightweight bits and bobs etc etc (you get the idea), would that outcorner a scooby doo? I know they have 4wd and 30 years more development time but they must be heavier?

Matt "Stark raving mad" Bannister would be a good one to comment here methinks:D
But in regards to Scoobys and 1/4 miles there are more and more cars running sub 12 seconds every day it seems, some even in the tens I hear, all you have to do is open the bonnet and throw loads of money in, then shut it quick as the 2 bar of boost trashes the engine.

So if it was modified Z vs stock scooby then yes but as Jez says who runs a stock scooby these days, the only thing stock seems to be the colours, blue (gold wheels) and silver seem to be the only ones available ZZZzzzzzzzz

Back