Steering wheel nut size?....New wheel!

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
Does anyone know the size of the nut that holds the steering wheel on?...(cue: 'nut holding steering wheel' jokes!)
I've previously been able to loosen them on other cars using the wheel brace, but it won't work on my 280zx!
I need to borrow a larger size socket, but don't know which size is required.:conf2:

If accessible, one solution is to measure it with a caliper and then ask your friend if he has that size.

Get yourself an extension bar for between a socket that fits and the ratchet would be my suggestion. You can get them from most hardware stores. Sorry if I am being oblivious to a larger problem mate.

Cheers

240 has a 22mm nut.

Hi,
Spot on!.....Just found that the 280ZX does too!....I borrowed my father in law's larger socket set and the first size I tried was the 22mm socket, which just happened to be the right one!:thumbs:

Nicely done.

Glad you're sorted Jez, Its worth keeping those few common sizes & bigger sockets,you
can usually pick up individual larger sockets at car bootz & the outdoor markets & fairs.
Handy for thingz like turning the engine(crank) nut,suspension nut & so on.:)

DJZ 60.:cool:

he needs a 24 mm socket, i think, I may be wrong

Yup, don't listen to me, my nuts are oversized. :devil:

I've picked up a few cheap(ish) socket sets over the years, and all have been invaluable at some point.

I'm covered for all eventualities from 6 - 50mm with a massive breaker bar to boot.

Nothing like wanting to do a job,& you just have'nt got the right tool for it! Its best to have bits that you
may need,even if its not needed till another day.
For example,draining the gearbox oil,or replenishing diff oil? best to get a set of different sizes,so you've got the right one at convienient reach. DJZ 60.

Hi,
I think I'll buy another cheap socket set with larger sizes, as it's not the first time I've been stuck!
For extra leverage I've got an old roof rack bar which is hollow and fits over various sized spanners.
I didn't need it on the steering wheel as it wasn't done up very tight....I think the previous owner had removed it before.

Advantages

The advantage of removing the steering wheel, is that you can lock the steering & its easier to apply a little torque to the nut,but some area's for example One of the rear seat
belt roller mechanism bolts was a nightmare & would not budge!
I used a solid handled Torque wrench bar with socket on it,then slid a hollow
metal tube over that for leverage. Its the first few turns that are the most important & once
its on its way (with light oil or wd40) you're on your way.:) DJZ 60.:cool:

Hi,
This is why I removed the wheel...I wanted to put a different one on!....
Just need to get a Z badge for the horn button now...Shame I haven't got a spare wheel centre Z badge, as they're just the right size!

Attachments

• wheel3.jpg
    wheel3.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 20
  • wheel4.jpg
    wheel4.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 11
  • wheel11.jpg
    wheel11.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 11
  • wheel2.jpg
    wheel2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 6
  • wheel5.jpg
    wheel5.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
The type of thing I had in mind is like the attached image....I think they're 40mm diameter?...just the right size for the horn push!
A red background would be even better!:thumbs:

Attachments

• z centre badge.jpg
    z centre badge.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 21
A useful bit of kit to have around (well has been to me) is a 3ft length of scaffolding pipe. Fits over most ratchets etc and acts as a great lever.

Back