Squeaking Suspension! Ticking noise? Please Help!

shadowman

Well-Known Forum User
This problem is really driving me crazy. I think it all goes back to a time when my mate 'tried' to perform a burnout in my pride and joy about 2 years back. All that happened is that the rear of the car squatted down, trying to spin the rear wheels. Nothing happened. I guess he didn't give it enough power so it just stood there squatting. I chucked him out the car and he never drove it again. This was on a wet day.

A few days when the sun came out and everything was dried out, I noticed a squeak coming from the rear on the drivers side when I went over little undulations in the road.
It was a lot more audible going through tunnels. It never made itself known when going
over big speed bumps which I thought was a bit strange. It was always going over regular flat roads (in Hertfordshire, flat roads are really lumpy roads with big chunks of tarmac missing) where you would most hear the squeak.

Then it would rain and the squeak would go away... for a while. But then it would come back with intensity! I sprayed WD40, which I thought was too light to get rid of a squaek from the suspension. I went through many cans of WD40 which was always a temporary fix. I figured that my 'friend' must have strained the stock suspension somehow with his attempt at a burnout and must have pulled something loose? Someone said it was unlikely and it was most probably one of the old rubber/silicone bushes that had been ruptured and needed replacing.

Fast forward a year and a half later to a a few weeks ago...I had the OEM bushes replaced by Mr F's mechanic with polyurethane ones which really firmed up the suspension and made a huge difference to the handling. Still get this bloody squeak though!!! :confused: Now that the new bushes are there the squeaking returns after a few minutes of driving and DOES NOT go away, rain or shine! I'm pulling my hair out!!
I'm thinking now it must be the old stock suspension and it did get strained after all!
This is combined with another annoying noise which started after I drove over what I believed to be some branches in the midlle of a dual carriageway but turned out to be a metal cable! I think I posted details of that issue on here a while back and that hasn't gone away either. I know that parts of cable had found itself wrapped around parts of the underbelly of the car and was removed by MR F's mechanic but that &%$££%!!! ticking/clicking noise is still there!
Someone on here said a common fault is there rubber stopped under the bonnet can sometimes work itself loose and can oscillate when driving at speed that could be causing the noise...definitely not that. Made sure those are well and truly secure.

The ticking can only properly be heard loudly travelling at speed and louder when braking at high speeds going down dual carriageways that are 'echoey' if that makes any sense. Normal driving on normal roads it is very hard to pick up. It sounds like I'm riding a bicycle at 40mph but not pedalling, and the result is that ticking noise you hear? You all know that ticking bearing sound it makes Same sound I get after I went over these damn cables!! Could some of that cable be lodged in the brake assembly somewhere?!!?

I am at my wits end on these 2 issues. I don't enjoy driving the car as much as I used to because of this!! :( I've lived with them for nearly 2 years now and I am just tired of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Russ

Club Member
All 300s have this bouncing squeek, mine seems to come from the front left? I'm guessing it's just a dry damper, I get it on my motorbike a lot (suspension is beside the engine, doh) and a squirt of WD on the shaft of the damper usually cures it for a few months.

I'd be intrigued to know the answer as well :)

shadowman

Well-Known Forum User
All 300s have this bouncing squeek, mine seems to come from the front left? I'm guessing it's just a dry damper, I get it on my motorbike a lot (suspension is beside the engine, doh) and a squirt of WD on the shaft of the damper usually cures it for a few months.

I jacked up both sides of the car (side at a time :) )and sprayed everything I could think of with a can of WD40 including the shaft of the damper. That actually worked as i took it out for a test run....not one little squeak. This is what I usually did but only took a few squirts. Next day however, squeak came back with a vengeance!!! :eek:

I've been reading it might be the age of the shocks or it could be bushes for the sway bars at the rear. I did have the strut dropped and all the bushes replaced. Whether that also included the bushes for the sway bar I don't know. :unsure:

shadowman

Well-Known Forum User

I am happy to report that the squeak has pretty much disappeared! Turned out
to be the actual wheel trim that was making all the racket. I could've saved a load of cash not forking out for all those cans of silicone lubricant and WD40!

Russ

Club Member
A wheel trim on a Z32??

I still have the squeek, on my last 300 it turned out to be the bonnet catch but this one I dunno :)