SORN fine arrived... where do I stand?

Russ

Club Member
CHEEKY BASTARDS! Read this

"Dear MR TAYLOR

The excise licence for the above vehicle expired on 15/09/2003 and subsequently, the vehicle does not seem to have been relicenced or a SORN declaration made.

Our latest information shows that you were the vehicles keeped on the 17/09/2003 (Date of alleged offence)."

BASTARDS, I get a vehicle, turns out it wasn't taxed before I bought it (I thought it was SORN'd ages ago because it hadn't been driven for a year and a half.

Now it appears

"Schedule 4, Paragraph 6 of the Road Behicles (Registration and Licensing) regulations 2002, required that immediately on change of keeper of an unlicenced vehicle the keeper must complete a SORN if the vehicle is kept off the public road."

So I have to cough up £25 and apologise to them, BASTARDS.

I guess that's all I can do. It's funny how it ran out before I bought it, yet I'm responsible.

BASTARDS. NOT IMPRESSED.

Another reason to leave this crap county, apparently South West Canada is nice.

Oh and I have to do this every twelve months! And I have two other vehicles with potentially the same problem.

WANKERS

Just another tax to squeeze money from the honest and law abiding people of this country. BASTARDS

I thought SORN was free? It was when I took my last toy off the road for a couple of months. It only lasts for a year anyway, and you get reminders when it needs to be re-done.

Sorry to say but I think the £25 is an admin fine for not knowing the true "road fund licence" state of your car.

It's a good idea - catches all the toerags who use their vehicles but don't bother to tax and insure them.

SORN is free

I bought the vehicle thinking it was already SORN'd, the tax expired BEFORE I owned it, yet it becomes my responsibility to do another SORN.

Anyway it's another hidden tax,

Admin fees my arse, it's all automated by computers, I'll gladly refund them the cost of the second class stamp and brown envelope.

Anyway I really am gonna leave this country, I just can't think of anywhere better to go :(

Hi,
The moral of this tale is, never assume anything when buying a car!
When you receive the V5 document you have to declare the vehicle "off road" again.
It's unfortunate when the innocent get involved, but the idea is to keep uninsured, untaxed and untested toerags off the roads!
Cheerz,
JEZ

Yeah I remember those adverts telling us how it's all automated, when your tax expires and so on. At the end of the day what's the point of displaying a tax disc (if it's on-road) if the cops or whoever can pull up your tax details over the radio. Other than that I think Russ took it rather well...

Hi,
They don't call it Road Tax anymore, but rather a Vehicle License.
In other words you have to be licensed to own a car, a bit like a dog or TV. At least with a TV you only need one license for multiple televisions!
Personally I think they should do away with "Road Tax" and just tax the fuel!Then everyone will have to pay, regardless! (unless they use chip fat!;) )
This would mean that classic cars which hardly ever use the roads would only pay when they are driven, via the fuel tax.High mileage users would get hit hardest, but most of them are Company car drivers, anyway and they are the ones wearing the roads out!.:p
Cheerz,
JEZ

Jez - it's a great idea, but at least at the moment you've got to go once a year to the post office with some MOT / Insurance dcouments. If they put all the duty on fuel then you would need some other check, such as displaying a valid insurance disc in the window. I bet they would scrap Vehicle Duty, add it to fuel and then have a "nominal" (yer right) £25 annual certificate check disc....

Since something like 83% of the cost of a gallon of the good stuff is tax already, I think we're being fleeced anough as it is...

Well I spoke to the chap I bought it off of and he said it was SORN'd. No where that I can see was I prompted to SORN it again, also when the V5 arrived in my name they should have included a SORN there and then and we'd have avoided this.

BASTARDS.

Oh and I have decided on Holland.

Good on ya Russ,,,Canada is a no go if your hatin taxes! Thats why I moved here LOL ! Try 53% of every dollar, Base rate, and then add on employee deductions after that,,,,,,,,,,,Tax wise, I love it here in the UK. :)

Yeh, someone did say that other countries have it much worse and that each one has it's own problems.

I guess some one had better warn Legendary 5 of the imminent arrival of a zedless z-nut.
Dont forget to send us all a bunch of tulips when you get there Nipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would state that you were not notified and that they should of sent the form but the normal line the gov/police make is "ignorance is no excuse":rolleyes:

My fam have all moved to Spain were there property tax for a year is the same I pay for a 2 bed house in the uk every month.

The only reason that there are all these "stealth taxes"is because us brits move away or just moan.
Take the french,they dont stand for no crap and will protest as 1 to tell there gov were to go while we complain about the 999 services running out of fuel during a fuel protest MUGS utter MUGS.
There is loads of places to obtain fuel other than a petrol station and we all fell for it.
And the oil companys had record sales as we all scrambled to fill our tanks to the brim so we all dont miss out!!!!.

MY 10p

Yeh well I think the country needs an attitude change, I dunno how I can do it though :-/ I'm gonna go for local councillor in a few years time, then county, then mp and THEN I SHALL BE El Presidente! I'll be chauffered around in a Z no less...

Back