Solid Brake Lines ?

Wyn

Club Member
I want to have a go at making new solid brake lines to fit my 260z
I want to make a new frt to rear pipe as well as those that run across the body
What type of pipe should I buy and what size/bore ?
Also what size end unions do I need to buy to fit the end flexi and under body "T" piece ?
ta

zbloke

Club Member
3/16" cupro nickel kunifer pipe and I'm pretty sure the unions are M10x1, without a plain shank, i.e. threaded right to the end

zbloke

Club Member
Yep, thats what you need

The unions are all going to be male

Again, from memory, the flares are all concave AKA operation 2

I got a very good flaring tool from Automec

johnymd

Club Member
The only advice I can give is don't buy a cheap tool like I did. They are total **** on kunifer. Only suitable for copper.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Just buy a complete set of pipes from Automec its alot easier. If your going to do the front to rear break pipes it might be worth doing the fuel lines at the same time.

Wyn

Club Member
Thanks for the pointers
Yep I need fuel lines aswell but that job is one of many still needing doing
Had a go at making a few pipes today and I think they are right?
Got the parts from a local factors and m8 lent me his bench mounted flare tool
By the time I had finished faffying about with other bitties under the car I managed to only make and fit the rear body pair for the rear brakes
Hope to do the frt to rear tomo

Attachments

• pipe1.JPG
    pipe1.JPG
    860 KB · Views: 20

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Just buy a complete set of pipes from Automec its alot easier. If your going to do the front to rear break pipes it might be worth doing the fuel lines at the same time.

It might be a little easier but its deffo not easier on the wallet. £130 a set:eek:

Making brake pipes is simple if you have the correct bench mounted tool. and a proper cutter.
Pipe and ends are cheap to buy.
Perhaps buying the tool for one job on one car doesnt make total economic sense but if you sell the tool on or make more pipes later for other cars/ friends cars etc it soon pays for itself. IMO and in my experience.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Making brake pipes is simple if you have the correct bench mounted tool.

Nope still thing I'm right. If anything you need a tool which is good to use on the car to manufacture while in situ. At well over £150 for a decent bench mounted tool unless you are going into business its not worth it.

Mike.